how do i test drive a car?

i just want to go to a dealership and test drive a particular car. i don't want to have to sit through a bunch of sales talk, and financial BS. i just want to go for a ride. how can i do that?

Comments

• Call ahead and reserve a time and a demo car with a salesman. She will be waiting for you at the car when you arrive. Bring your drivers license. Then get in the car and take a test drive.

• Like the other four answers, I was not sure what you meant, so I thought I would explain how to test drive a used car in the hopes that is what you were asking.

I like to test drive any used car cold, after sitting at least overnight, a car with the beginning of a major engine and transmission problem, may not run well, or move until warmed up for 10 minutes or more, I start up the car, there should be no LOUD BANGING OR CLANGING rattling or big clouds of smoke, I give it a minute or two for the oil to circulate, and then take off like I stole it. Any used car, that will run drive and stop good cold, may not be in too bad of shape.It should start smoothly and within 5 or 10 seconds smooth into a high idle. You should be able to get it up to freeway speeds easily (55) take it for a 30 to 40 minute test drive, and check all the power windows up and down several times each, make sure the radio and heater work, the turn signals and tilt steering as well as the cruise control, and anything else to make sure it all works correctly.

I plan ahead, and usually talk to my mechanic BEFORE I go looking for a used car, and try to pick a day he may not be so swamped so that he can fit me in on short notice for an hour. I checked all the lights and radio and heater, My mechanic puts the car on a lift pulls the wheels off, checks the brakes the same time he inspects the front end the frame, for evidence of now damage, or repaired damage (major repairs can be spotted from under the car often times, he also inspects the car for oil leaks, puts the wheels on and takes it for a 15 minute test drive. Total time one hour or 70 bucks. If I have a question on the engine, I can pay extra for a computerized diagnostic.

there are lots of crappy cars out there, you are looking for the jewel in a sea of broken down old wrecks, so be picky, and don't ever be in a hurry to buy somebody Else's problem ok? patience is the key when looking for a good used car believe it or not. And the more patience you have, the nicer car you will get ok? hope this helps , best of luck

• HERE IS THE CURRENT 2013 MARKET ANSWER:

1. Research the vehicle you are interested in extensively and anonymously online. Learn about the features and be able to discuss them. Prepare a few questions you may want o ask.

2. Find out where the car is. Go to a dealer's website and check the inventory. Again, this needs to be done anonymously. Never reveal this level of preparation unless you feel compelled to do so.

3. Go to the dealer when you have time. Relax. Smile. After all, you're about to experience the car! If you say you're "in a rush" you've just advised the entire sales force that a future appointment is in your best interest.

4. Don't ask to "drive" any car. It is much to your benefit if you state that you'd like to "look at" the car. Maybe mention that you've seen that model around and that you are hoping they have some to check out. When you are taken to the inventory, then covertly look out for the particular car you saw online.

5. Drive the car only after the salesman has presented the car to you. Walk around the car and inspect the way the dashboard and electronics work, then ask your salesman to pair your Bluetooth phone before the ride so you can play your music while driving.

Have fun

• Well, you could just say that you're in the early stages of decision, and that you're not ready to buy but would like to test drive the car that interests you. If the sales person pushes you for financial data, just reiterate that you're not at that point yet. I don't think you'll be able to completely avoid some form of salesmanship, though.

• Go after hours and hot-wire it. Drive it without the riff raff and high pressure sales pitch and dealer talk. Then make an informed decision as an educated consumer.

• I would recommend contacting your local dealership to get more specific information on what would be needed in order for you to take a test drive. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

• go to the dealership go to the car u wanna test drive wait for a salemen (u gotta make small talk to show your interested) then ask to testdrive it give him your license he copies it gives u the key and there you go

• That means you aren't actually going to buy the car to them...which means they'll basically spend their time elsewhere.

• Tell them and if they don't let you threaten to go to another dealer who will.