p4 cpu's northwood vs prescott?

im thinking of upgradeing my cpu i i definitly want HT i want at least 3.0 ghz id like 1mb cache but 512k mb is fine is northwood the only 1 with HT? or does prescott have it too? id prefer 800 mhz fsb i know they go up too 3.4 ghz , any suggestions?>

Comments

• It looks like the Northwood has 512kb cache and the Prescot has 1mb cache and both come in 3,4ghz core speed. They are socket 478. The other guy is right for a few dollars more you can get a new mobo and processor and have a system with new life.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570...

Good luck

• i think the other guy is right. upgrade if funds allow. if not i can vouch for the prescot p4 3.0. i was using it on games recently till i got a pentium d. i was able to run r.e. 5, m.w. 2, encode videos but it was limited. it was a powerful cpu in the day but that was then. if you are in the market for an upgrade like that, you'll likely be pleased considering what you have now is likely really bad (in my case it was a celeron d 3.3 ghz 512 cache and 533 bus). i'm going to warn you though a dual core is better than h/t. it's night and day buddy.

• Wow, legacy question! lol

I had a Prescott 4 - 5 years back, it did have HT yes.

Why not just get a whole new motherboard and get yourself something more up-to-date... like a core 2 duo. It doesn't have to be expensive.

• ascertain your mobo helps HT in case you fairly need it. yet HT leaks a good style of electric modern-day, turning the processor warm. Many consumers only finally end up turning HT OFF to shrink warmth. i could fairly choose for a three.0 -3.4Ghz Northwood and doubtless overclock it in specific cases to 4.0Ghz.