camera flash vs no flash?

I am wondering what is the difference of a photo if you take it with flash or no flash on a low light scene with a digital camera, will the one with flash, or the one with no flash be better and more realistic?

(is there a difference for objects and people?)

Comments

• of course the one without flash.

it's just that when you're taking pictures using digital camera without flash, you have to hold it really still, otherwise the result will be blur (not sharp). but no flash will generate an original color pictures where flash to me is the last resort when it's truly dark.

use tripod, it's not expensive and it helps a lot when taking no-flash pictures, twilight or high sensitivity pictures (all without flash)

• Flash photography can often wash out a scene, so good natural light will always look better.

When using AUTO, the camera will detect that there is not enough available light, so will automatically use the flash.

Now, if you were to turn off the flash and take a shot, your photo will most likely be quite dark, or be very blurry and also have a lot of noise, because when using AUTO, the camera will raise the ISO to compensate for the lack of available light.

To take a photo successfully in low light without a flash, you would need to do either...

put the camera on a tripod, use a delayed shutter to avoid any camera movement, and use a slower shutter speed and/ or larger aperture (which is not practical for social gatherings or parties etc).

You could raise the ISO to 400 or 800 etc (if your camera allows it), but in doing so, you will most likely have a lot of 'noise'. Most compact cameras can only take acceptable photos at ISO 100-200 before the noise creeps in.

There are other ways, too...I have sent some tutorial links.

The compact, Fujifilm Finepix F30 is one exception. It takes very good photos in low light when using ISO 800-1600. All without a flash and handheld. It perfoms better in low-light than it does in bright outdoor light.

I suggest you perhaps read about photography in general...

Good luck

• The 35mm camera is a thing of the past. Even with two flashes the 35mm, cameras are a piece of junk. Have you ever taken a picture that will represent something in your life, all of the sudden they don't develope like you thought it would? Well that is the number one problem we all had with 35mm cameras. In the other hand a digital camera with flash are awesome. Why, because you can really see the picture how it is before you pay to develope. With digital cameras you won't Even need a flash because they are equipped with what they call LUX. LUX is The International System unit of illumination, equal to one lumen per square meter. A 5 LUX digital camera or cam-corder is not that good to use in the dark. A 0 or 1 lux is what we all must use so we won't miss any detail when shooting at night or in dark places. Sometimes the cameras are equipped with night-shot. witch is better than 0 LUX. I would advise you to purchase a digital camera ASAP. The camera might cost you $300.00 but the image on paper will be priceless. Enjoy and have fun.

• Depends what your trying to do. For low light casual pictures its probably best to have flash on. If your trying to get a scenic picture its best to have a flash off so it looks nature. I use flash when I am at parties and indoors just so I can see the subject is. The draw back of a flash is harsh shadows and extremely bright faces/object and a black foreground. The drawback of no flash is that you have to put it at a slower shutter speed which makes the camera have a tendence to have a subject or camera blur which makes pictures look bad.

• If there is enough light to get a good picture without motion blur, then I believe natural light is always best. Ordinary camera flash will leave deep harsh shadows, and objects closer to the camera will be more exposed than distant ones. Flash can be helpful, however, in natural light situations by "filling in" deep shadows in the scene.

• I always choose no flash whenever possible, for all subjects. Sometimes, the light is too low, and I have no choice.

• It would depend on the situation. How close you are of the subject, your subject is moving or not, are you using Slow Sync or not, are you using a tripod or not, would you mind using a higher ISO?...

You have to interpret what you have available and what you must do in order to get the shot.

Good luck!

• here's a link on ebay to camera lighting