car noises?

A year ago, i heard some squeaky sounds from my truck when i started it, and few minutes later, it would mellow down. I got it fixed. NO more noises. Until a year later, the noises came back. I went to some mechanics. One mechanic said it was the belt. Another mechanic mentioned that my belt was new, so it should be something other than the belt. Mechanic #2 wanted to dismantle the car to be sure of what the problem is. Who should i listen to? Im on a tight budget so im torn. THANKS!!!

Comments

• squeaking belts are fun, could be the belt or what ever it is turning on, either a pulley (load) or an idler(just routs the belt really).

with the engine running, take a can of WD40(with the little straw in place, great for aiming) point at individual pulleys/ idlers and spray a little. listen carefully. when you hear the noise stop, remember the last spot that you shot, go back to a store, take someone to the car and point at where the noise stopped, ask for one of those. replace it. it has worked for me in the past, although i can just go in and tell them what i need. slim chance that the noise may not be belt related but technician a and b seem to agree on that much. id just about bet that you find a worn idler, given the history i have seen

• What did u do the first time? If its about the same noise i would do it again. I would say it depends on the noise. If its a squeak then i would look at the belt or idler arm. If its a rattle or a whirling sound then i would look at the idler arm. The D40 idea mentioned by another poster works just make sure to keep from spraying it into the fan or too close to it, or it might go everywhere. Check the belt. If its a gator back made by Goodyear, those things are rumored to squeak on certain vehicles as they wear. From here i would go to a gear head friend. Have them tighten the belt. Depending on the setup, tightening belts normally takes only a little time and a strong arm. my car requires loosening one bolt, pushing down the idler arm till the arrows match up. Its about 15 minutes from finding the socket till the socket goes back up. Another trick is to put a little break fluid on the belt. If that stops it then you need a new belt. For the belts i would go to auto zone and get the belt that's next to the cheapest. i don't trust the cheap ones and they charge a premium for the gator backs. If the belt is not the issues then keep the old as a spare.

• If you want to see if its really just the belt spray some hair spray on the belt, (with the engine off...be careful!). It makes it sticky and should quiet a squeak for a little while. It could be the bearing in the idler pulley, (the thing that keeps the fan belt tight) or even the alternator squealing right after start when its charging the battery. Get lots of opinions. Some mechanics see dollar signs in their eyes soon as you drive up.

• A noisy belt (new or old) probably just needs tightening. This would cost next to nothing. A new belt will cost more but not nearly as much as "exploratory surgery" by mechanic #2 Go with cheap first.

Bearings that are not getting enough oil make a sqealing too, but a decent mechanic should be able to tell the difference without taking things apart.

• try a new belt. it is the least expensive of the options. and that is what any good mechanic would try first anyway. if it is not the belt, leave the new one on and throw the other one in the trunk for emergency. it's nice to have a spare belt in the middle of the night , if the other one breaks. i wouldn't recommend any belt sprays. they will work at first, but they deteriorate the belt much faster. that is why a new belt comes with instructions to make sure the pulleys are clean.

• Neither go to another tell him to tighten or replace belt this should solve problem. Depending on your setup and the belt, some trucks have an automatic tensioner others don't, also some belts are cheap such as the ones at Auto Zone and stretch out. You can tighten them to a point but eventually you have to replace them.

• It's a slipping belt at the alternator.

When you start your truck, the alternator is trying to recharge the battery before the drive belt has a chance to warm up a little.

It's fairly normal with older cars and trucks.

You may have a tensioner that is getting weak, or simply adjusting the belt tesion should fix it.

• Sounds like a pulley problem... I've had Ford & Dodge trucks and both of them have had to have pulleys that hold the fan belt replaced.

I wouldn't trust #2, sounds like he wants to jerk you around to get $$ out of you. He sees a girl who knows not a lot about cars: (like Judge Milian says) "Cha-ching, Cha-ching, let the cash register ring!!".

• i would go up to a friend or a guy friend that knows about cars and would tell you what to look at there is so much that could make that kind of noise...

• simple ..ask.... any ,just any ,of them to put the estimate in writing .

(let them know ,what you gonna do.<LMAO>)

and go( in forward drive)

Question.That was not?

answer . give me my money back ,I gonna look for other mechanic.

next.

by the way...where is the first mechanic.?....the one who really fix it the first time?