Essential Accessories for SLR Camera?

Hello,

I have just bought a Canon 600d SLR camera, is there any accessories which are important to get?

I have a case, memory card, tripod etc, but should I be buying filters to go on the lens?

Thanks,

Ed

Comments

• Where did you buy this SLR camera? I thought all SLR cameras were discontinued in favor of digital or

"DSLR"

Filters, yes absolutely, The skylight or UV filter (I prefer the UV) is an absolute must on ALL lenses.

These days since buying new digital lenses,I order the UV filter with a new lens always, I put my UV filter on unpacking the lens. Result I "NEVER" have to clean the lens risking hurting the delicate lens coating (never mind the expensive cost of re-coating the lens if you rubbed too hard. and damage the coating).

I also have a polarizing filter, most important useful filter!

Any other filters that I use for instance I use a Tiffen Soft fx #3 when doing portraits. I use the long end of my 50-200mm lens with this filter to soften skin texture, in portraits..

Cable release: In my day this was a cable screwed into the camera body to release the shutter. Today it is done wirelessly. It is very handy especially when you have to camera mount to a tripod and want the most motionless exposure release.

You mentioned "memory card" singularly. If you only have one card you are asking for trouble. Memory cards can and do go bad. Always have an extra one or two memory cards. To help get the best life out of your memory card. Remember to reformat your memory before you use it for the first time (in the the camera, of course) and after you upload your images to your computer. Another hint DO NOT USE THE DELETE BUTTON on your camera, this leaves particles behind that interfere with the next image you take. Up load all images and delete the ones not wanted off the computer.

Good Luck!

• Great choice of camera. With the memory card, it is advisable to make sure it is a Class 10 memory card. The difference between a class 10 and a class 2 (for example) is that it has higher read/write speeds and is better quality. The higher read/write speeds is good because with the 600d (which I think is 12.2Mp), you will have larger sized photos which you want to be stored quicker.

Also, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS buy a filter for your lens. It doesn't even have to a high quality fancy filter. Even a clear filter will do the trick. You need a filter because if, for some reason, you hit your lens on something (e.g. a table) you can break the front element of your lens. If you do, you will have to send your lens in for repair which can cost half as much as buying a new lens. If you have a clear filter and you crack it, then all you need to do is go to the store and pick up another one for, what, $30? probably less.

Good luck.

• A Speedlite flash, of course. The built in one is quite good but you'll get much better results with a "proper" flash. You will be able to "bounce" it for portraits, thus giving a gentler look.

Another lens, perhaps? If you currently have a low end zoom bought with the body, then you should consider a longer zoom lens.

A Skylight filter is good at protecting the lens. Also, a polarising filter will make colours stand out; especially blue skies if used correctly.

You can never have enough memory cards and it will be useful to buy a spare battery. The Canon battery grip is also a nice thing to have but not essential.

• It really depends on what you want to do with the camera. Most people set up their cameras for certain types of photography and buy accessories and equipment accordingly.

Forget a battery grip..... today's DSLRs have such good battery life that they can through a whole day of solid shooting. My DSLR lasts me a week on vacation without charging. A battery grip just adds weight and bulk and takes money away from more important things.

Filters are no longer as important as they used to be. You can warm and cool the picture in camera or even on the most basic photo editing programs, and you can change the colours to whatever you want.

The only thing that can't really be done in post is polarizing and neutral density. Polarizing will help give clouds definition, deepen the sky, and get rid of stray light and reflections. Neutral density is helpful if you want to shoot a full open aperture in bright light, or do time exposure during the day (like moving water). A skylight filter is helpful as well to protect the lens.... if nothing else it helps with resale value.

Other than that, there are lenses. If you shoot sports or wildlife, a telephoto lens is a logical addition. A wide angle lens for scenic or architectural photography. A macro lens for close up photography. There is no limit.

Then speedlights which will recycle faster than the camera flash, can be pointed to bounce flash to reduce redeye, and even mounted remotely for portrait work.

Also, a good photo editing program. Back in the day, we did it in the darkroom to produce the desired print we wanted.... now we can do it on computer. Photoshop, Lightroom, Aperture, something like that.

• There is no such thing as an essential accessory for an SLR camera. There are however requisite equipment for the various fields within photography. As a beginner, you first need to lay down the ground work and cover the basics, rather than thinking about equipment at this current point in time.

• I would get a lens cleaning kit, spare memory card, spare battery ( and battery grip ), and go on a photography course.

Alot of people think that Lens filters don't work, but one thing they do do is protect the lens from getting scratched.

So you can just buy another filter for £30 instead of getting a whole new lens for £700

• To protect the lens you have to get a filter. And the lens pen or a hurricane blower.

• The first thing you should buy is a photography course. Then as you become experienced and discover needs, you will know what else to buy.

• Cable release, to add to the above.