Do cops enjoy ride alongs?

So i'm doing a police ride along tonight, and right now i'm just hoping that i get put with someone really nice and not a jerk. But do most cops enjoy doing ride alongs?

Comments

• I do. That's why I try to contribute as much as I can here - I love the job and I like answering questions, especially to those who are interested in becoming an officer.

As far as the demeanor of the officer you'll ride with, any shift or watch commander worth his salt won't put you with a jerk. If they do, I'd think long and hard about joining their department. Why would you want to work for a guy who puts ride alongs with jerks?

• Most Staes won't allow this because of the liability factor, you actually need to be already enrolled in a Criminal Justice Program in College. Even then a "ride-along" as you describe it will be tough to approve. Go through the classes , get to an academy, then you ride as a trainee. In the meantime, speak with Criminal Justice Professors, see if your local Police Department will let you take a tour, and ask questions with those officers.

• It depends on the cop. I did a ride along about seven years ago and had a really nice (hot) cop. He got teased by the other cops on duty that he had a young female for his ride along. I didn't ask a lot of questions, I was just "there" and he explained things to me very simply. I'm sure if you ask a ton of questions the cop will got bothered, so I'd suggest keeping it simple.

• Sure I always do. Just follow a couple of simple rules. You are not a cop so don't try to get involved. Let the officer do his job. Keep your questions until you are alone with the officer.

• For the most part yes...until the shooting starts.

• Yes,

it's good for their egos..