Do you think Francisco Cervelli will develop power?

I really don't see it. Cervelli is kind of a weird player, because all he seems to do is get big hits and he is hitting something like 800 with runners in scoring position. When I checked how many games he played I couldn't believable that he has 12 RBIS in 14 games. That is unbelievable. I mean he easily worse case scenario could drive in 70 plus runs if he played everyday. Although sadly I just don't think his power numbers are coming. I just see him as more of a brett gardner only he doesn't have the speed of Gardner and is more of a good defensive catcher who will hit for a good average. So does anyone really buy into the fact that Cervelli will develop any power.

Comments

• I don't think Cervelli is ever going to be a power hitter, and probably be the type of catcher Joe Girardi was. They are both guys who can hit, handle the bat, call a good game, and even have decent speed. Catchers with power are kind of rare, because the main duty of the catcher is to run the pitching staff and play good defense. Offense is a bonus. Cervelli has been a really pleasant surprise, but if he played every day, he may not provide the offense that the Yankees would need in the A.L. East. I don't think it's sad that he may not develop power, as long as he can catch, throw and run the Yankees' pitching staff, he will be a very solid player.

Cervelli has a long career ahead of him, but it may be as a back-up catcher, like he is now. The Yankees have two great catching prospects, Jesus Montero and Austin Romine, both of whom can really hit. Montero may be moved to right field or DH, so the Yankees in a couple of years may have a Romine/Cervelli combo behind the plate.

• I think he could develop into 7-15 HR a year which in the yankees lineup is just an added bonus Cervelli is doing more than enough right now but if he hits some more hrs definitely wouldn't hurt.

• He has it. He just has not NEEDED it. His job is to get on base and knock in a few runs and be a good catcher. I think he can hit 15 to 20. That is all they need. Posada might soon be out of a job. Cervilli to the ALL STAR GAME

• I think Cervelli's power is looming somewhere in there but i think let him be in the leauge for another year or two and the power will be there if not i doubt it

• Not everyone needs power. If he hits for contact like Jeter, then its fine. Yankees already got enough guys hitting with power and one is coming up with Montero

• He looks like someone who will hit a lot of doubles, maybe 20 HRs a season if he fills his potential.

• He doesn't have to hit at all in that lineup, all he needs to do is to take care of the pitchers, anything he does is gravy.

• Maybe but IDK I heard they have this super prospect @ Catcher so he might not get to see improvement