Do I qualify for a disability dog ?

I'm an adult an diagnosed with the following disorders... At the age of 8 was diagnosed with epilepsy.. At the age of 14 was diagnosed with bipolar disorder.. At the age of 19 was diagnosed with kidney failure..So do I qualify for a dog.Please help need answer A.S.A.P , Thank You

Comments

• With bipolar disorder alone, or epilepsy alone, you would be able to have a service dog. A service dog is different from an emotional support animal; a service dog is a dog that is trained to do *tasks* for someone with a disability. A seizure dog, for example, can be trained to (sometimes) alert to oncoming seizures, although the ability of a dog to this is unpredictable, and needs to be trained by someone very experienced with working with medical alert and mores pecifically, experienced in seizure alert training, and there's also seizure response dogs, which could, depending on your type of epilepsy, say, guide you during a complex-partial seizure, or catch you to keep you from falling and being injured in the event of a drop attack or tonic/clonic seizure. They can also be trained to alert caregivers, bark to attract help out in public, alert to an oncoming seizure so you can take medication or engage in another safety measure, and to lick you/nudge you as you recover from a seizure, to help speed your return to awareness with that stimulation.

A psychiatric service dog for bipolar disorder could be trained to: alert you when you're having mood changes or engaging in harmful behavior, alert at times to remind you tto take medication, provide deep pressure and sensory stimulation during panic or depressive episodes by nuding you, lying on top of you, or licking you, (this is awesome..I have a mobility dog but I have severe anxiety, and he sort of automatically started doing this ofr me during panic attacks...he's awesome!!) These are just a few things they can do....these are things the dog is trained to do, of course, which is what makes it a service animal/service/assistance dog. Service dogs can only be taken out in public by their disabled handler, or in some places, by a trainer who is trainig a service animal, although the rights for a non-disabled person taking a service-animal-in-training in public with them, vary from state to state. In my state, trainers have public access rights with dogs in training just like disabled handlers.

Also, it's the task and your being disabled that mean you can legally take your service dog with you. Just because fluffly helps your anxiety by being there sitting in your lap does NOT mean you can take him into a restaurant or store with you. (Unfortunately...) I understand the desire of just having your pet with you, but this is both illegal, and very unwise, as a pet is very likely to get overhwelmed in public and do something to screw up your time...liek peeing on the floor, barking, bothering other people...any of which, even with a service animal, could mean you could be asked to leave.

An emotiona lsupport animal, on the other hand, is just a pet, and can't be taken with you places (unless local laws permit; I'm going based on the Americans with Disabilities Act) The one thing about Emotional support animals is that with a doctors note, your landlord has to let you keep them in your house even if they have a no-pets policy, and in some airlines, you can fly with a small ESA in a carrier or in your lap. But that varies.

With service dogs, any landlord, any public place, including airlines, restaurants, stores, doctors offices, the dentist's, anywerhe the public can go, you must be allowed to take your service dog, according to the Americans with Disabilities Act. It doesn't matter what anybody syas, which, yes, people do say things, when you don't look disabled, they do ask...but it doesn't matter. You know your rights, you can ignore ignorant comments...or explain politely that it is indeed a service dog, that they just can't see your disability. (Or people may gthnk you're blind...that happens to me a lot, when I'm out without my wheelchair and people see my service dog and go "oh, you're blind'...that or they think I"m just training him!)

I'm sorry about your kidney failure. I hope your quality of life improves, and that you can find a dog to meet your needs, service dog or otherwise. :)

• Talk to your Dr's about this. The correct term is a service dog. Some service dogs are trained professionally and can cost a lot of money, or the handler can train the dog themselves, yet it is important to have some kind of professional guidance to teach the service dog full tasks that are specific to your needs.

• in the US, would you qualify for a Service Dog? Yes, if the SD is taught to mitigate a disabling condition

would you qualify with an agency who trains? don't know.. usually that is needs-based with a looooooooooooong wait-list

see my AV? that is my SD.. he is now over 10 years old.... his training cost me $28,000 & was worth every penny!

I know SD trainers & SD evaluators........... if you want an SD and if you are in the US, then email me, I can help you find someone who can help you

• Yes, you do.