Can periods cause a depressed mood?

I've been feeling down and depressed for roughly 6 months, sometimes it's triggered by things in my life, sometimes I wake up feeling like this. My online friends kept telling me to see a councillor so I did. The councillor basically just blamed it all on my periods and just said everyone feels the same when they're on their period. But I've been having periods for 4 years now, it's never happened before so this confused me. The mood also doesn't always coincide with my periods, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Comments

• Yes, depressed moods can be caused by your periods (5-10 days before your period, from PMS as well as during your period) or from triggering life events. This is different from depression.

Depression is medical condition, whereby brain chemicals are ideal. Depression is not just being sad, or feeling down. That being said, seeking a new counselor (or better, a new psychologist) might be a good idea.

• Its a symptom of depression. It means your brain is not producing sufficient serotonin. Depression is common but easy to treat. So tell a dr. how you feel and ask for an antidepressant.-------

The one that worked best for me was Sertraline. It takes 2-3 wks for your body to adjust to it during which time you will have trouble staying asleep. But, after that, you will become a relaxed, confident, healthy person.------------------------

Find some big happy churches, attend age-appropriate groups there and have fun. Talk with the pastor/minister. A good one can show you how to have perfect peace. And where else can you get counseling for FREE? Remember, God loves you more than you can possibly imagine.

• Yes. The period is CAUSED by hormonal shifts, which also affect the mood.