XP Pro product key?

I've been given a comp. But it had a prob so had to be wiped. It was genuine Win XP Pro on it. Silly me forgot to check the case for the product key and am now half way through re-formatting the comp. Got as far as the product key input....but the number isn't there. Is there any way of searching the computer for the key...even though I am half way through formatting it please?

Comments

• nope.. sorry.... if the number wasn't with the XP disk and it isn't on the outside of the tower anywhere ... bad luck. Someone may have put a "burnt" copy on and so the authenticity code wouldn't have been valid and why it may have crashed.

• Some computers don't require a product key - if you are using the manufacturers disk.

If you are using a Dell, get a Dell Windows XP installation disk (from a friend or other computer) and re-install using that one - it won't ask for a product key.

Same applies to a lot of the major manufacturers.

If you can't get a disk from a friend/other computer - you could call the manufacturer, normally if you give them the serial no of the computer, they'll send you one for a few quid.

Hope that helps! And best of luck!

• Ask the previous owner for the legal XP Pro disk AND the CD KEY. Without it, you either buy XP Pro OR:

If not available, install the free Ubuntu Linux (for example) instead.

• somebody could have given you a actual product key, yet your concern is easy trouble-free techniques to activate that, the XP OS you have put in on your pc desires activation and does not have the comparable serial no., i'm confident they are able to hit upon that when you change in this.

• If they did not give you the License Sticker with the computer then that copy of XP is not genuine. I would go back to them and ask for my money back. Or report it to Microsoft.

• Without the sticker, you can't do ANYTHING. You have to buy a new license.

• K72MY CVMK4 22HXX JFBDH PYJTG ENJOY