OS to SSD...?

"buy a SSD to put OS on it and make it much faster"

What does this really mean, how do you do it and what kind of SSD to buy.

Comments

• A SSD is a type of hard drive that is very fast.

If you put the operating system on it, your computer will boot in like 10 seconds.

If you put programs on it they open 10 times faster then on a regular hard drive.

There are lots of flavors of SSDs, just like hard drives, but the biggest thing to look for is reliability and the size you need.

In my computer I have a 128GB SSD with windows and most of my programs on it, then I have a 500GB regular hard drive with my files and programs that don't need a fast hard drive.

You can also get something called a SSHD with is a hybrid of the two. It has an 8 GB SSD on it and a regular hard drive for more space. It automatically copies your most used files to the SSD to give you a small speed boost without having to worry about using two hard drives.

• that means if you have a PC (not a laptop), you can install a 2-nd hard drive in it - a solid state disc, and have 2 hdds there. And then you install your OS on the SSD and have a faster boot and overal performance of OS. keep in mind that the OS should be optimized for working with SSD (like windows 7,8)- http://www.overclock.net/t/1240779/seans-windows-8...

• You could probably use the SSD card for readyboost on a microsoft pc.

• just buy any ssd and install a fresh windows copy in it, it will boot in 7 seconds or less

• It means you install your operating system (your OS) on a solid state drive (SSD) instead of a standard hard drive (HDD).

You'd do it the same way you install an OS on any other type of drive. The only difference is that an SSD has no moving parts and thus is not only more stable, but can also access information much faster.

Typically, when people use an SSD as their OS drive, they get one that's fairly small and ONLY use it to store the OS and programs. They then install a second drive (generally a large HDD) to store their files on.

• It means that you buy a solid state drive(SSD) and install an operating system on it.

SSD drives are much faster but you must be careful putting an OS on them..

Cause the constant write/erase of OS's can reduce SSD's life span considerably.

Many dont realize this so this answer gettin a thumbs down is likely.

Read below how to run an Os on a SSD without harming the SSD...

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/440783/pc...

Many SSD users will not take these precautions and will suffer the consequences..

Cause when the SSD has reached it's cycle.. You lose everything.

Hope it helps :)

• Most OS store a lot of files, which require regular hard drives to "slowly" seek where the files are located (which causes the grinding noise). It's similar to music CDs when you're switching tracks.

SSDs use Flash RAM chips, which have nearly zero seek time, making the OS I/O significantly faster, especially booting.

Which to buy? I recommend any with 5 year warranty, but they're usually pricier.