Good contemporary British novel?

I am trying to plan out my curriculum for spring semester for my 12th grade British Literature class. We are starting with Frankenstein and working through the Romantics. After that we will hit some Modernist poets. After this, I want to do a modern British novel with some supplemental poems or short stories. The problem is I am not overly familiar with contemporary British works, apart from Harry Potter. I would love some suggestions for appropriate texts that are interesting for end of the year senioritis. Thanks so much!

Comments

• Never Let Me Go: Kazuo Ishiguro (He a fabulous British writer) and it was on my Recommended AP Reading List for my Senior Year in AP English. But, it isn't hard to comprehend or read, so it could be for any other English class.

• I loved Atonement by Ian McEwan. Literary Fiction

I also loved The Ghost by Robert Harris (it's called The Ghost Writer in the US). Political Thriller

I've never read this, but J K Rowling's newest novel. Can't remember the name of it.

• I recommend The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglass Adams. It was written in the 80's, if that's modern enough. Stylistically, it is very obviously British, and it's hilarious, so it ought to keep them interested.

• Perhaps Hello America or Kingdom Come by J.G. Ballard or The Book of Dave by Will Self.

• Why not look up the list of Man Booker Prizewinners? That should offer a few suggestions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_Booker_Prize