do you brush your dogs teeth?

how many people brush their dogs teeth. my 2 dogs have never had their teeth brushed. my 4 year old retriever still has white teeth

Update:

my 2 dogs also get dentastix, but not that often. i know it says you should give a large dog 5 a day, but thats stupid.

they have nylon bones and sterile bones.

Comments

• brushing teeth often is highly recommended even though many people don't. It's not like the good ole days where no one did. We are a new generation to be pro-active with healthcare to minimize future health problems.

• I brush all my dogs teeth every day, in fact now all I have to do is hold the tooth brush and they move their mouth all around it brushing their teeth as they do so, this is not a chore as the dogs love it as soon as I get the brushes out they come running as they enjoy doing this, it started as a game and continued until they were cleaning their teeth all sides of the teeth get cleaned and they have nice teeth one of my dogs is 14 years old and has strong clean teeth. Cleaning teeth everyday has other health benefits for dogs it is very important to maintain good dental hygiene. A good quality toothpaste made especially for dogs should be used.

• I dont brush my dog's teeth but I do give her about 3 or 4 dentastix a day which are good for her teeth. After giving her these I saw marked improvement and she loves them also.

• If they chew on bones a lot, they may not need to get their teeth cleaned but always have them regularly checked by a vet. I really think that every dog is different. I have not had to have my dog's teeth brushed I think because I have always given him bones and dental chews like Bright Bites to chew on.

Here's some good information on dental care for your dog.

http://www.brightbites.com/dental_notes/

I think as long as the vet gives you the all clear, then you are doing fine :)

• No i dont brush my dogs teeth i have a 5 yr old labrador, she has never had her teeth brushed, instead we give her a stick. This acts like a tooth brush and cleans her teeth!

• No- but I should. I have trouble getting my toddler to brush her teeth at least once a day. Getting my dogs comfortable with teeth brushing should be my next goal though.

• I brush my moms dogs teeth.Just because they are white does not mean they are healthy your dog can get really bad breath.And soon it's teeth will turn yellow and it will take you months to change it might as well start early.

• We brush our dogs teeth about once a week. They haven't had much need for it, because they have kibble and the teeth cleaning treats, but we figure it can't hurt and so we might as well.

• We had to brush our last dogs teeth cause she was so old that it was the only way of keeping them healthy (she couldn't chew bones and stuff at her age)

• I brush my dogs teeth once a week, I have to since I feed her a raw diet and there isn't really anything solid for her to crunch in her mouth that can clean her teeth (kibble helps to clean teeth, are you feeding your dog kibble?). Of course I give my dog chew sticks like bullwrinkles and I give her raw meaty bones, but I feel like brushing is very important, it doesn't take much and it helps her teeth to remain healthy.