Do community colleges.......?

take into account that you took honors in highschool, since I'm a sophomore now and planning to go to OCC. I need someone to clarify if they really do care about the fact that you took honor classes(and of course have good grades) or not so I won't be expending extra effort and time into classes I don't really need.

Comments

• No, community colleges don't usually care directly if you have good grades or took challenging classes in high school. That being said, it is in your best interest to take the harder classes and get good grades all through out high school. Once you start telling yourself that "I'm only going to community college I don't have to try" it only sets you up for failure later on. You are only a sophomore and community college might be the only option (maybe for financial reasons or wanting to stay close to home) but come senior year you might be able to get scholarships to cover the cost of a 4 year year university or change your mind about going off to college. The only way to have that option is if you try your hardest in high school.

Having taken AP/honor/challenging classes in high school will make college all that much easier when that time comes. You are required to take placement test and you don't want to be stuck taking a high school level class and having to pay for it! Also some CCs have honors or transfer programs, meaning smaller classes, better professors, transfer agreements, and priority registration. They are designed for students that are qualified to attend any four year university but decided to go to a community college. For this they would care about your grades, classes, test scores etc.

So take hard classes and work hard, it will only help you.

• To be perfectly honest, depending on where you are, community colleges don't care at all what classes you took in high school. In fact, in California for example, you don't even need to be a high school graduate to go to a community college. You have to be 18 and be able to pay the fees, that's all. However, the fewer classes you take in high school means the more classes you have to take in college, so high school classes always help ... a lot!

• Well if you took AP tests they will be able to give you college credit for those if you did well enough on them. But no, pretty much all community colleges have open admissions, meaning that they accept everyone who applies regardless of grades.

• Only if you took an AP class and passed the exam. Then there are certain classes you're allowed to skip:) You'll have to talk to a college counselor.

• For math and English, you take placement tests to determine which level you start at. For everything else, you yourself sign up for the appropriate course. Upper level courses have prerequisites. Only AP credit can get you out of those prerequisites.