2010 VW Jetta (TDI) as a first car?

Would a Diesel Volkswagen Jetta be a good first car for a teenage girl?

We have had our eye on a particular one in our area. It's a 2010 model (old body style), semi low mileage (about 60,000, which is good for a used car) and is priced well. After viewing it, It was clear that it has been very well kept and is in near-new condition.

My family has a VW Passat and everyone absolutely loves it.

Comments

• Yes definitely!! I got the 2008 jetta SE for my first car. And I love it. It's girly, sporty, and it's safe. It's not too big or too small so it's much easier to maneuver, and sadly the car does not go super fast. But it's still fun to drive. Safety crash rates are high, and I would recommend anybody else to buy one too! They are great cars! I have not had any problems with it other than having to change the oil. Plus they are very economical. Here is picture of mine!!!

• New drivers should have old cars. Insurance statistics say you, as a new driver, have a 60% chance of wrecking the car in the first year, 80% in the first three years (the third year got me). It is not about being a good or bad driver, but about the steep and unforgiving learning curve for driving in traffic. You want something disposable... I always recommend a 2004+ Focus. Cheap to buy, own, feed and insure; good safety and decent reliability. It is best if you can pay cash for the car so you don't have to get the shockingly expensive collision insurance. That can add $300 per month to your insurance.

• Yes. A VW Jetta TDI is a very good choice and will give you great fuel mileage.

• Consumer Reports car issue (April each yeart) says the jetta is an average reliability car. Get the magazine from the library and look it up.

• it's a great car and your little princess is going to be driving a nicer vehicle than many adults. sounds like a great way to spoil the hell out of her.

if you want to be practical get her a cheap old junker that doesn't need to last more than a couple years, and every time something breaks teach her how to fix it. when it gets totaled let her buy the next one on her own. she will learn a lot more from this experience.

• Its great and reliable car, was announced a safest car. It offers sporty style and accommodating presence. Plus it gives you fuel efficiency, which is also important.

• Buy it.