Which is better; a Professional Degree, or a Master's Degree?

Soon, I will go to a four-year college to major in Photography. I would like either a Professional degree or a Master's, but I want the better of the two so that I have a better chance as a photographer. I read on the Internet that the Master's was highly coveted, but, of course, you can't believe everything you read on the Internet. Thank you for your help.

Comments

• If you plan on working as a teacher a Masters will be more useful.

If not, a Professional degree + skills.

• Photography degrees are pointless. If you need to learn how to compose a photograph and use cameras, you could do an Associates degree, but don't expect it to pay off immediately.

I've never even heard of a Masters in photography, to be honest.

There isn't much of a job market for photographers. Most are self-employed as wedding/event photographers, portrait photographers, or whatever other gigs they can get. The "jobs" are mainly in department store photo labs (minimum wage), photography companies like Jostens (close to minimum wage), and camera store retail like Blacks (minimum wage). Nobody would ever expect you to have a Bachelors degree, let alone a Masters.

The really awesome jobs, like being a renowned fashion photographer, have nothing to do with education. Becoming well known in your trade is about talent and networking, which can't be taught in a school.

• I have never heard of a professional degree (I didn't realise you could get another kind of degree - I do live in the UK though, and if you live elsewhere the rules might be different), BUT I've always been told that with art-related subjects like photography, a degree doesn't affect your job opportunities as much as it does with other subjects, because it's examples of your work that affect people's opinion of you most. Also it probably matters less the kind of degree, and more where you get it from (having a well reputed place on your CV would probably matter more). Also previous work you've done (who you've worked for), is probably more influential.

Good luck with what ever you end up doing!

• No degree is necessary for a career in photography and having a degree is unlikely to advance a career.

The only area of photography with good employment possibilities is wedding photography.