Dog snow boots: Yes? No?

Is it compleatly unnessecary to get your dog boots for winter hikes? I was thinking about getting some for my dog, she will be about 4 months in December when it starts snowing. My boyfriend is trying to talk me out of it, but I am concerned she might cut a paw pad or just be cold... plus they are cute.

Update:

Thanks for all the responces. I wouldn't souly get them because they're "cute", I'm not an idiot, so stop being asses. Cuteness is simply an added bonus.

Comments

• NO!!!

Stupid ,useless wasteful ANNOYING & *NOT* "keeeeeeee-oot"!!!

Unless it's a sled-dawg ,running 8-10 hrs.in the IDITAROD!!

• My dogs have never needed them.

I own a border collie and a beagle.

With the border collie especially, there is a certain amount of ice that gets stuck in the fur between their paws, but nothing overly serious.

Many dogs will not tolerate snow boots, but it is always possible to "condition" them to wear them.

Dogs are animals though, they have been tolerating the snow for longer than these boots have been around.

• Don't get them because you think their cute. You'll be wasting your money. If your dog tends to get ice balls between his toes, then it may be worth it.

In some of the the large cities, lots of people put boots on their dogs because of the salt the city puts down to melt the snow and ice. The salt burns the dogs feet and recently, there has been reports of dogs (and some people) getting electrical shocks from the ground due to the salt mixing with the electrical wiring under the sidewalks.

• I think they are necessary, depending on what climate you live in. If you live in a place like I do, where winter can last from October to May, and gets down to -40 C (or colder), and you regularly walk your dog, then yes, they are necessary. Even if the dog has thick fur, the pads on their feet are unprotected, and they can freeze or get cut on ice. And if your community uses salt on the roads, ouch! And when they lick their feet, they will ingest that salt, and that's not good for them either.

• The only dogs who need booties are those who go massive multiple day hikes or pull sled (the Iditarod and the Yukon Quest come to mind). Cute is not a reason to put booties on a dog. Besides it takes a while for them to get used to. Your dog doesn't need them. It's a waste of money.

• no. the dog doesnt need boots. i go on hikes with my dog and if he were wearing boots he would throw a tantrum. dogs naturally have a thick layer of hair in between there paws (pads) unless you have a small dog like a chihuahua or yorkie then yes

• I thought it would be cute to buy my YorkiexJack a hoodie but trying to get it on her is impossible coz she hates it. My point is that it might be a waste of money.

• My dog HATED them.

It was a pain to put them on and they never stayed on.

Waste of money.

• Go for it - It will probably make her warmer and I agree - they are super cute! =)