My dogs phantom pregnancy.....?

My dog is a 3 year old bichon and was booked in to be spayed but as we went for pre op we've had to postpone surgery because she's having a phantom pregnancy, but now I feel sorry for her and would like to let her have a litter first so she has what she obviously want and then let her have the operation, is this cruel, cause complications or anything bad for my dog?

Comments

• Its not what she wants, it what her instincts tell her. Don't have a litter unless you are an experienced breeder, which it seems that you are not. My vet says that not spaying has risks such as cancer of the ovaries. Others say it's unnatural to spay and not spaying doesn't have as many health risks. You should look into both sides of the argument and decide, though in your case I would say spay.

• Having a hormonal imbalance does NOT mean she "obviously" wants a litter. Animal reproduce because INSTINCT tells them too. Not because they WANT offspring they way we want children. Get your dog spayed and move on with things.

• I agree.

You go ahead and let her have her phantom puppies and she will be satisfied.

I wish I could choose what my hormones do like your dog does, wouldn't life just be perfect then!