umbilical cord acccident?

I m 32 weeks pregnant. is it true that stretching can cause the cord to wrap around the babys neck? i was doing my pre natal excersice today and stretched my hand forward and upward while standing. Is tht bad? can it cause this accident? i m **** scared. i read somewhere tht u shud not stretch. pls reply.

Comments

• Cord accidents are very rare and are not mums fault...stretching will not tie a knot in the cord!

Its wise not to OVERSTRETCH when pregnant as your ligaments are soft but your everyday stretching is not overstretching, hanging clothes, curtains and prenatal exercising will not harm your baby.

I can remember getting yelled at for hanging clothes on the line...i replied with "and i bet you think swallowing gum will wrap around and strangle my heart too!!" its as daft as that one.

Relax and keep up with your exercises for as long as you feel able, it will help you in labour.

Good luck

• It used to be an old wives' tale that a woman raising her hands over her head was bad for the baby. I think this is probably in the same category. It is ok to do light stretching and excercising.

Btw, the umbilical cord gets wrapped every which way around the baby and for the most part it becomes unwrapped quite easily. The problem is during birth it can become stuck and if it is around the baby's neck, it could be bothersome. I think your baby is alright.

• I think this an old wives tale.

I don't see how putting your arms up can make the cord wrap around the baby.

That would mean you couldn't reach up to shelves or hang out washing, its just silly.

The cord is attached to the baby and the placenta not to your arms. If someone has got a logical explanation to how it can actually happen I'd be all ears!

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm bending and stretching up and down all day long and if the cord wraps around the baby its just coincedence, not your fault.

• i believe that the umbilical cord is bumped off with the afterbirth and disposed of. I undergo in recommendations the surgeon style of pulling something of the umbilical cord and then listening to this plump sound whilst the after beginning fell out right into a bucket like element he grow to be conserving.

• Keep a close eye on baby's movements, and ring your doctor or midwife if you feel there are not the normal number of movements and they are not the usual strength, etc. You could go to your delivery room and have a fetal monitor put on for a bit fi you are particularly worried, but you should really be ok.

It never hurts to ring your carer and ask for advice. They'd much rather you rang than have something go wrong! Good luck, chook.

• If this was really true women would be exhiled to sit on their rumps throughout pregnancy. I've been reaching and stretching all through my pregnancy putting dishes away, getting things off shelves and whatnot. It causes no real harm, but you should of course keep an eye on the baby's movements.

• No the baby itself is the cause of the cord around the neck. They twist and turn in there and sometimes get caught. Truly nothing you do could cause that.

• That's complete bull. It's an old wives' tale. If the cord gets wrapped around the baby's neck, it's because he or she is doing their own form of aerobics, and has gotten tangled up.

good luck :)

• Yes it is true that you should not stretch when you pregnant but as to the umbilical cord can get rapt round the baby's neck it is not possible

• Both my kids were born with the cord wrapped round their necks! It's fairly common.