Is pneumonia air born or a mucus spreadable disease?

I just wonder cause that is how my gramma died on Saturday.

Comments

• I'm sorry about your Gramma. Some pneumonia is contagious; some is not.

Here is some information:

PREVENTING PNEUMONIA IS POSSIBLE

Because pneumonia is a common complication of influenza (flu), getting a flu shot every fall is good pneumonia prevention.

A vaccine is also available to help fight pneumococcal pneumonia, one type of bacterial pneumonia. Your doctor can help you decide if you, or a member of your family, need the vaccine against pneumococcal pneumonia. It is usually given only to people at high risk of getting the disease and its life-threatening complications.

The greatest risk of pneumococcal pneumonia is usually among people who:

Have chronic illnesses such as lung disease, heart disease, kidney disorders, sickle cell anemia, or diabetes.

Are recovering from severe illness

Are in nursing homes or other chronic care facilities

Are age 65 or older

If you are at risk, ask your doctor for the vaccine.

Ask your doctor about any revaccination recommendations. The vaccine is not recommended for pregnant women or children under age two.

Since pneumonia often follows ordinary respiratory infections, the most important preventive measure is to be alert to any symptoms of respiratory trouble that linger more than a few days. Good health habits, proper diet and hygiene, rest, regular exercise, etc., increase resistance to all respiratory illnesses. They also help promote fast recovery when illness does occur.

• pneumonia is caused by bacteria that grow on the mucus in the lungs. it's initial cause can be from a virus that caused the production of mucus, or from the body's own natural flora of bacteria. it isn't airborn or contact spreadable but you can catch a virus and if your body is already sick enough, you could end up with pneumonia. my guess is your grandma probably had some other stuff going on with her medically and developed pneumonia as a secondary infection. sorry about your loss.

• My Condolences. Airborne disease could be hospital acquired or community acquired, neglecting it or improper treatment may lead to worsening of the condition up to respiratory failure.