PA speaker system help please?

My band plans on buying a used Peavey 200 watt head <http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partn... , and we need good speakers for it. i looked online and this speaker <http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gemini-GT-1004-10--PA-... looks good for what we'd want. We're planning on hooking up two of these to the head. I have minimal pro audio knowledge so I don't know if this will work or not, as far as wattage and ohmage goes. so please check out the links and tell me what you think. thanks in advance!

Comments

• I have to make an awful lot of assumptions here. Both of the links you posted are dead. However I was able to get the specs of the Gemini speakers. They are fine for basic PA use as long as you don't run much more than vocals through them and play only small venues or use them only for practice. If the latter you would be better off with traditional wedge, fold back monitors. With 8 Ohms impedance they will be compatible with just about any amp. They are by no means high quality but they aren't total junk either. You would do better with Peavey, Commuity, Behrinnger, speakers or another quality name brand. JBL and Electrovoice are probably out of your price range. However Gemini may suffice for a beginner band that doesn't have demanding requirements such as gigs in big rooms and / or an elaborate PA with the instruments playing through it. Their 360 watt rating is a "peak" rating and such is usually around double the continuous rating. Generally I like to "over power" speakers by about 10% so a 200 watt amp is about right as long as that is a 200 watt RMS rating at 8 Ohms. These speakers appear to have no protection circuit so you will be able to blow them if you are not careful. This is one reason I recommend going with one of the major brand names that I mentioned. They all build some kind of "blow out protection" into their speakers. Overpowering such a speaker will prevent your amp from going into clipping (which roasts tweeters, blow out protection or not) and the "fuse" or protection circuit will prevent damage to the speaker. Often it is more cost effective to spend a bit more money on higher quality gear rather then buy cheap gear that you will have to replace or repair.

• It particularly relies upon on what you go with to advance. If this could nicely be a room the place you go with to advance merely speech, a pair of 50 watt column audio gadget would be sufficient. yet once you go with disco music, my suggestion could be 2 reliable high quality 15" + horn finished selection cabinets via a good speaker co. e.g. JBL, Electrovoice, Peavey, Yamaha, Mackie. Any reliable high quality passive speaker field this length could have a sensitivity from ninety to a hundred+ dB and could have rms skill of two hundred watts minimum, extremely adequate to wreck the listening to of genuinely everyone interior the room. A extra stylish thank you to do it particularly is to apply 2 energetic 10" cabs and a powerful energetic 15 or 18" sub. if there's a handy place to discover it.