Homemade Dog Food Recipe?

So, we learned at our last vet visit that our border collie has severe food allergies. I would like to make her food at home to make sure she's not eating anything that will cause a reaction. She only likes dry food - is it possible to make dry food at home? Also, are there any good recipes for treats she can eat? Thanks a bunch! There are a LOT of recipes online, but I'd like some easy recipes to start, and some that people have tried and know they work well.

Comments

• For one, what was the deciding factor that your dog was allergic to its food. What food are your feeding? Does your dog get lots of treats, table scraps, chewies? If a true food allergy, the only way to rule out, is by a food trial. Cut out all treat, table scraps, chewies, raw hides, etc. There are a lot of recipe for home cooked foods, but I would recommend a single protein diet. Such as natural balance, limited ingredient diet LID , they have fish and sweet potato , venison and potato, duck and sweet potato, bison and sweet potato, etc. Most likely this is a protein source your dog has not been introduced to. Gradually switch your dogs food over in a 2 week period. This food trial needs to last 2-3 months. This is to determine if it is a true food allergy. Also if your pet is itching or chewing at itself , place on a flea control (such as vectra 3D, I usually recommend comfortis (but the tablet is flavored can can affect the food trial). If on a continually flea preventative and on a single protein diet, and still itchy after a few months, the next step would be to test for environmental allergies. I recommend the food over making your own, because there are so many nutrients which your dog needs, and cant be well supplemented in a home cooked diet.

• Cut out the mayo, the grapes (Why would you feed a carnivore grapes? They don't feed lions and wolves grapes at the zoo, I assure you), the flour, the chicken broth, and the chocolate. That leaves you with chicken breast. But don't cube it, dogs have teeth perfectly designed for chewing their food and don't need your help. But chicken breast isn't a balanced diet so add in some heart, liver, gizzards, kidney, green tripe and the like. Add a little salmon oil for Omega 3 and 6 and tada. You'll be feeding your dog the healthiest homemade diet possible, a raw (aka uncooked because, dogs don't have thumbs, start fires, nor do they cook, nor are they evolved (as we are) to eat cooked meat) prey modeled diet!!!

• We know that there is no living species on the planet that sustains itself on a diet of cooked food. This is why some homemade dog food recipes call for raw food. Furthermore, these wonderfully fresh, healthy pet food recipes are quite easy to prepare. And they provide variety and a mixture of food for your pet, instead of the bland, crunchy, boring (fat sprayed) bits they are used to eating.

For more information check this out at http://k9goodfood.com/

• I hope your dog gets better.

it is best to get the vet to actually find what the allergies are rather than guessing. Pellets are full of grains, either wheat or rice, and processed grains, not cracked green ones.

Dogs do best on a raw meat diet, that you can afford by getting meat at the market. She only seems to like dry food, because that's what she was raised on, or you keep feeding her, and they put artificial additives or sugar in to addict her to manufactured rubbish..

If you want your dog to live long, feed them raw!

• Foods she should never eat : http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/ss/slideshow-foods-your...

I don't know any dog food recipe but buy some dry dog food and see if there are any things inside that causes food allergies or take the dry dog food to the vet and let her/him check it out and then keep buying the same brand [ sorry i don't have any recipes , if you think this is a good idea keep the receipt so you don't waste money.]

Dog treats you can do:

I found this amazing site that has ALL SORTS of treats you can do homemade! ( just click the title of the recipe and it says it)

THE SITE: http://www.bullwrinkle.com/Assets/Recipes/Recipes....

Homemade Dog Treat Recipe

Poofy Doggy Drops

1 pkg. dry yeast

1/4 cup warm water(110-115F.)

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

1 cup flour

1 pkg. unflavored gelatin

1 cup dry milk powder

1/4 cup corn oil

1 egg

6 oz pet food,canned

1/4 cup water

Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Mix all dry ingredients together. Add the rest of the ingredients . (Dough will be very stiff. Drop dough by level half-teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a preheated 300F. oven 25 minutes. Leave in oven to dry and cool. Store in airtight container.

Homemade Dog Treat Recipe

Nutty Bones

1 3/4 cups flour

1/4 cup sesame seeds

1/2 cup brown sugar

12 tbs. butter

1/2 cup ground walnuts

1 egg yolk

1/2 cup vanilla extract

2 tbs. toasted wheat germ

Combine ingredients, knead until thoroughly blended. Roll out till 1/2" thick. Cut into shapes or just squares. Bake at 375F on ungreased cookie sheet for 12-15minutes. Cool. Store in airtight container. Keeps 2 weeks.

• it will be very time consuming and expensive, but raw meat diet would be the best way to go. Look up such as BARF diet on line or even join a forum.