Pros & Cons Cats vs. Dogs?

I'm looking to add another pet to my home and can't decide which I would like . I currently have 2 dogs and have had cats in the past . I would like to see the pros and cons of both , I want to know all aspects as in which would be best to have with dogs and small animals , care requirements , price for supplies , etc . I already know the adoption prices at my local shelter where I will adopt him/her from .

Comments

• Dogs

Pros - more social, eager to please, like to play and give/get attention, can protect, more easily trained

Cons - need to be walked, need to be trained, require more attention, can't be left alone as long as a cat, don't care if it's the storm of the century - they need out to go to the bathroom

Cats

Pros - can take care of any unwanted critters, quieter, cleaner, don't require constant attention, easier to move with and find places that allow them if renting

Cons - don't really take to training to do tricks and whatnot, "beware of attack cat" isn't a deterrent, too independent for some people

• I love both. With dogs you will spend more on food, toys, treats, grooming, training. Cats are pretty easy to train and like dogs they can be taught to play fetch, come when called, walk on a harness and even put their toys away. Food, toys etc. for cats is cheaper. Dogs of course will take up a lot more of your time with walks and training but it is so very worth it. Both are equally as loyal and affectionate. Cats tend to be more quiet then dogs but that being said I adopted one who screamed all night turns out he was afraid of the dark.

• Cats pros: very low maintainence, can be left alone and will not go crazy, quiet. cats cons: sleep a lot, claws, litter box. dog pros: friendly, playful, protection. Dog cons: very high maintainence (walks atleast twice a day, feeding 3 times a day, if its a puppy- expect to take it out every hour and clean up poop and pee a lot everyday), biting, loud, smelly.

• If you currently have two dogs and have had cats in the past, surely you already know what goes in to properly looking after both species accurately, already?

• IMO cats are cheaper and easier to keep then any dog. You don't' have to let them outside to pee/poop and you can leave them for the weekend with a bowl of food and a few bowls of water.

• cats require a lot less maintenance than dogs

• Dog just for the hell of it