why do programmers prefer Linux?

Everyone tells me I should get Linus and get rid of Windows. I don't want to, I hate that stupid penguin.

Why do they love Linux so much?

Update:

But can you do things on Linus that you can't on Windows? or that are harder to do on Windows?

I know it's free and more secure but if I already have Windows, what's the point of getting Linus?

Comments

• You may not want Linux on the computer for what ever reason, but a Linux LiveCD is the best thing to have when Windows crashes and you need to get files off the computer. I won't try to convince any one into using Linux.

Some of the things I do with Linux, Windows would throw a fit because of the way the closed source coding is coded. The biggest advantage is customizing the Operating System to be what you want it to be and not a canned version of an operating system.

• We have an old XP box just to check for malware. That stupid machine takes 25 minutes to boot into desktop with all the virus protection scanning going on. If you program, you reboot and unplug your computer sometimes.

I estimate I've saved $20,000 just in software costs using Linux and the Open Source Community.

Windows will silently downgrade to 32-bit operation if any 32-bit library is present. Audio files haven't been upgraded in the last 30 years and many games are advertised as 64bit but they don't tell you the audio libraries will dump you back into 32-bit emulation.

Linux is true multi-core. The OS assigns the resources. Windows must have the software writers program Windows to accept mutli-core.

You can upgrade the installed software (but not the kernel) in Linux without a reboot. Windows requires a reboot to make the changes in Registry permanent.

Windows has licensing issues on all points. The EULA from Microsoft says you may NOT sell your license to anyone else. The EULA allows you to use Windows until further notice. You own your own copy of Linux.

Linux is on the planet Mars.

• In recent years, Microsoft has come up with the strangest ways of doing the simplest things. It's not the most flexible. If there is a bug embedded deep into the closed source operation of Windows, there are patches dumped on the operating system further burdening its' operation. Open source can be fixed right at the source of the bug. If you've ever used Linux, it responds much better than Windows.

• It varies. Many internet programmers want Linux for servers because of the fact there's a brilliant variety of unfastened utility obtainable to run the server. As for a working laptop or pc used for the programming, i think of OSX probably beats Linux because of the fact there is extra coding utility obtainable.

• Hi

deonejuan

HHHAAAAA there is life on mars the penguin has got there, bet they have no windows in there homes !!!!!

Using linux lets you program at a command line level and react with compilers thst are native and have not been changed by windows.

I program using puppy and geany text editor, how basic is that.

• It is free.

It has wide networking of people working on it.

Unix/Linux is proved to be more secure than Windows.

Windows is proprietary.

What not