Physics Problem Help Please?

Here is the problem:

At the instant the traffic light turns green, an automobile starts with a constant acceleration a of 1.8 m/s2. At the same instant a truck, traveling with a constant speed of 8.1 m/s, overtakes and passes the automobile.

(a) How far beyond the traffic signal will the automobile overtake the truck?

(b) How fast will the car be traveling at that instant?

I have no idea how to solve this. If someone can just walk me through and explain that would be great!

Update:

Okay, one thing I'm not quite getting is how you got "distance = v0t + (1/2)at^2". Is that the integral?

Comments

•     Dтʀĸ = (8.1 m/sec) • t ... truck's displacement

... and the standard physics equation for a constantly accelerating object:

 Dcaʀ = (½) • a • t² + (Vcaʀ i) • t ... initial velocity of car = Vcaʀ i = 0

 Dcaʀ = (½) • (1.8) • t²

 Dcaʀ = (0.9) • t²

setting the displacements equal:

      (0.9) • t² = (8.1) • t

     (0.9) t² − (8.1) t = 0

        t • [ (0.9) t − 8.1  ] = 0

Solutions: [t = 0]

 and (0.9) t − 8.1 = 0

          t = 9 sec

... so the two vehicles meet at the start [t = 0] , and again at [t = 9 sec]

... and the standard physics equation for the final velocity of an accelerating object:

  Vcaʀ ғ = a • t + Vcaʀ i ... final speed of car at [t = 9 sec] = Vcaʀ ғ

  Vcaʀ ғ = (1.8) • (9) + 0

  Vcaʀ ғ = 16.2 m/sec

... and the velocity equation is the derivative of the displacement equation.

• Well, basically, distance = velocity * time, and distance = v0t + (1/2)at^2. So distance needs to be equal, i.e.:

8.1 * t = (1/2)*1.8*t^2

Solve for t, we get t = 0 (we knew that), and t = 9. 9 * 8.1 = 72.9 m (a), and speed of the automobile is 9 * 1.8 = 16.2 m/s.

• Find the distance d and time t at which

d=v_truck * t

d=v0_car*t + a*t^2/2 ; since v0_car=0, d=a*t^2/2

v_truck*t = a*t^2/2 -> v_truck=a*t/2 -> t=2*v_truck/a = 2*8.1/1.8 = 9s

distance d=8.1*9 = 72.9m

speed of car: v=v0+a*t = 9*1.8=16.2m/s

• the galaxies rotate at speeds inconsistent with their obvious mass is due to the fact that we do see it all. I am regarding it as being the theoretical Dark Matter. There are very powerful proofs that suggests that darkish topic exist. One the is the inconsistent pace of and obvious mass. darkish topic makes up approximately seventy five% to eighty% of the problem within the Universe...