Dog greets excessively.?

hello, i have just gotten a foster dog that is a shar pei//vizsla mix. He is about 2 and was a stray in a kill shelter that was saved my a rescue about 2 weeks ago. Its my first time fostering, and im really happy to because this guy is really handsome and sweet. He's very playful and can be calm at times... He can be stubborn and needs training. My issue is his excessive greeting when ever my husband comes in, or if we all come back, or if its morning and he's seeing us for the first time. He jumps at us, playfully bites, jumps all the way up...His tail wagging the entire time.

He is intensely saying hi for a long 5 mins. Its too much, especially for my husband since he goes in and out in the early mornings... plus hes 50 pounds and his claws hurt when he slams them down on us. I have been holding him still so he can calm down... kind of a bear hug. he kinda calms down. after his the craziness he calms down and is normal again. He may have separation anxiety. ( not too bad though) he whines when my husband leaves.

What can i do? how long will it last. I think he was lost and found and taken in as a stray. Hes just been neutered and is on meds. Hes a great dog... this little issue is driving me insane. help?

Update:

http://on.fb.me/1eZr6Oh heres a pic him.

Comments

• How wonderful of you to help rescue a dog in need. I understand your problem and think I can offer some tips to help.

Dogs do what works. So it might be useful to teach this dog to 'sit' before giving it any attention. Teach the sit command when you are already at ease in the home. You can offer your dog a treat while working on teaching the sit command, but only give the treat after the dog is sitting calmly. If you and your husband practice this when the dog is not greeting you at the door, the dog will learn that until he sits calmly no treats or attention will be given. Then at greeting time you can give the same 'sit' command.

Don't reward excited behavior. When your dog jumps on you, try waiting for him to calm down. Cross your arms tell him to 'sit' and if necessary look away from him. Sooner or later, he probably will sit down. When he does, bend down to pet him. If he jumps up again (and he probably will), ignore him again. Your dog should soon piece together that you will only pet him when he has 'four on the floor.' If you are consistent in this practice and NEVER pet your dog or pay him attention when he is jumping on you, he most likely will learn that calm behavior gets your attention -- and rowdiness does not. .

Use contextual learning. Dogs are capable of learning that things are appropriate in some contexts but not in others. If you only play rowdy games with your dog outside, he can learn that outside is the acceptable place for rowdy behavior. Likewise, when your dog is inside, do not play with him and always interact calmly and gently with him. This concept is similar to behavior seen in some service dogs -- when the vest goes on, the calmness kicks in.

Together you and your husband can really help this dog learn better greeting behavior.

• For starters, if he's just been neutered, he doesn't need to be leaping around!!! So for that reason alone, if you want his incision to heal without needing to be restitched, this behaviour needs to be stopped. I would suggest that this is a reaction to whatever was going on where he was. He's about 2, and has never been trained. Vizslas (without the Shar Pei bit) are pretty active dogs in any case, and often take until around 3 years to calm down!! Best I can suggest really is right now, don't have him where your husband comes in, and to allow him to greet him, put him on a lead and ask him to sit first. First thing - let him outside, immediately. Don't let him leap up to greet you.

I think some one on one training, if only to teach you how to cope with this young hooligan, might be a good idea. Perhaps you vet can recommend somebody or a local training class. He's a prime result of being somewhere he wasn't taken in hand early on before he ended up in a Shelter - and that's probably why. People thought he was a cute puppy - and he grew into a not-so cute hooligan. Quite apart from breeding a Shar Pei with a Vizsla. Shakes head.

This link may help you understand about the Vizsla temperament http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/vizsla.htm

Also similar for the Shar Pei http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/sharpei.htm

• Hello sounds like you need to train him recall and the "calm" command.

It is normal for your dog to get excited when you get home but if you teach him calm he will learn he will be praised for calm as well.

It's good if you can train him to not come out of the cage straight away. So when you do let him out don't go too crazy or make too much fuss. The problem is when we get home and let our dogs out of their crate we make a fuss and we are actually putting in place the fact there was something to worry about. It's almost saying "it's okay, you can go crazy as I have been gone for so long" of course the dog doesn't pick as much up as this bit he will soon realise your making a fuss as it's bad when your away.

What I normally do it come in the door and say a quick hello . A rub on the head and them carry on as if nothing has changed. It's still lovely to be greeted by them.

You can start this method by choosing the play time yourself. When you are in the home on the weekend maybe. Use a signal very easy for the dog to read ( bending over) as open calling him over. Grab a toy an some nice tasty bits of chicken. As soon as he engages with you make sure you say the word "play" then give him a treat. We are using positive reinforcement to praise good behaviour.

Play with him for a while whilst giving him treats. Then when you are ready use the command "enough" use a big hand signal ( hand out, palm facing him) Take the toy away and get up straight away. Wait until he calms or shows signs of relaxation and praise him the second he stops. The first few times he may keep whining, but just act boring and don't give him eye contact.

Soon he should learn that if he calms he will also receive a treat .

Using this method you will be able to use the same command when he says hello to you and when you want him to calm. Have a treat with you and you can praise him the second he calms.

Soon you will be able to (jackpot) the treats. This means you can just replace some of the praise by just saying good boy, and then sometimes you give him a treat. This way the dog will always work for you an behave, not knowing when the treat will come. ( a bit like us at the fruit machines)

I hope this has helped.

If he calms on his own done forget to praise it.

[email protected]

• We recently adopted a dog with this problem and severe separation anxiety. He is now on an anti depressive and it works wonders. He won't be on it forever but it will take time for him to work through his issues. He is also in obedience school. It costs only 6.00 per month, money well spent for him and us. We tried everything we could find online in the first 5 months we had him and nothing worked, he would void his bladder and bowels in the cage everyday.

• Like some wives then