Why do we create nicknames?

(I don't mean here on Yahoo)

Comments

• A deep longing to make the unfamiliar familiar.

• I think they're a way of remembering people as we see them and not just necessarily using their given name. Nicknames give a personal touch or an inside joke to something or someone special; they tend to reflect a person's personality as well, either that of the person with the nickname or that of the person who gives it, or both.

• I think it's a more personal form of identification,

whether by self or others. It's obvious why the red-haired guy named Herbert is called "Red", and it's obvious why the smaller look-alike version of daddy is called Junior, and it's obvious why Elizabeth Taylor is called Liz And it's even obvious why George W Bush is called Dubya. What I can't figure out, is why people are called Sting, or Slash, or P-Diddy. I've been crowned Persnickety most of my life because I'm very organized and detail oriented. In school, some called me 'Snickers because I smile alot. And I have a friend who calls me George. (I have no idea!) My ex-husband's family calls him Dud...lol.

• In the Middle ages the devil was refered to as "Nick". When you died he called your soul to take it to hell. If all your life you were called by a name other than your baptized name then he would be calling the wrong name and you would get away. So the name at Baptism might be William but the name through life or the name for "Nick" was Bill.

Hope that helps.

• Personally, I think nicknames are for one of two reasons: 1) You can go by more than one boring name, or 2) It distinguishes you from another person by the same or similar name.

• Because,we as humans,feel a need to not identify as the next person as their self's,we want to label them,what we feel is appropriate.Also,it represents a sense of control and in relationships,we find it cute,but in reality,we Are setting are own boundaries,as well as our partners,sexually

• They seem to fit better.You know like the personality of a person.

Then sometimes the person's real name is so long, ugly, or hard to say or remember.

• nicknames are often more easy to remember

• I guess because we all liked Nick.

• So you don't give your real name to strangers, Dah!!!