Do vets ever remove dew claws from adult dogs?

My dogs are all rescues, and one of them has all four dew claws. It doesn't really bother me, but he's also SUPER sensitive to having his nails trimmed. He's gotten a lot better than when we first got him, but it's still a real pain to trim his back dew claws. They were so bad at one point that they had grown into a circle.

So my question is, if for some reason he had to go under anesthesia at the vet, would it be awful for him to have them remove his back dews? I understand it would basically be an amputation.

Update:

Ah, Debunker, my FAVORITE answerer! :P

Comments

• It's no big deal to take off a couple dews when the dog is already under for something else. So, if the dog needs to have his teeth cleaned or a lump removed, remember to ask the vet to add on the rear dew claws to the surgery.

It is nothing like an amputation, especially on the rear. Some dogs retain an ability to use the front dews, but most do not, and about the only dogs that are able to use the rear dewclaws are the Norwegian Lundehund. So, your dog will not miss his rear dews.

• Rear Dew Claw Removal

• Due claws can be removed up to 9 months old, after that they fuse to the bone in the leg and it's best not to remove it after that time. So no if the dog is over 9 months of age I would not recommend this, I seriously doubt a vet will remove it either. When my friends dog injured her rear dew claw the vet did not remove it they simply trimmed it way back.

All dogs are sensitive to having their feet trimmed dew claw or not, try dremmeling the nails instead of clipping you might have better luck.

• This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Do vets ever remove dew claws from adult dogs?

My dogs are all rescues, and one of them has all four dew claws. It doesn't really bother me, but he's also SUPER sensitive to having his nails trimmed. He's gotten a lot better than when we first got him, but it's still a real pain to trim his back dew claws. They were so bad at...

• it is possible, my dog has broken her dew claw repeatedly (she is 11) and i just received an estimate for one claw to be removed - $780 ... which to me is excessive but the vet said that removing them is not a simple procedure in that there are many tendons that if cut could cause some problem for the dog ... if the dog has never caught them or broken them, i would bring him to a vet or professional groomer and have them muzzle him and cut them down over a few repeated visits ... once he has had them done by a professional, it could mellow him out about having it done (as long as no one hits the quick) ... or you can just continue to have a professional do it, it is only 5 dollars where i live ...

• Yes, you can get the dew claws removed. My boss' dog had hers surgically removed because they can get caught on things and cause lots of pain.

Just ask your vet, I'm sure they'll have options for you.

• When we get a dog in rescue with back dew claws, we will have them removed if they also need spaying / castrating - no problem.

Don't really think the front ones usually need doing as they stay pretty flat, but I know of some dogs that have had them out.

• When I had my Pomeranian spayed I asked the vet to remove the rear dew claw that is not attached.

He said no. I was surprised, and I am sorry I did not insist.

My two friends who are vets said they would have absolutely removed it.

If you have to have your dog under anasthesia I would absolutely encourage you to have them removed. I would do the same.

• If they are causing a problem like snagging, yeah they will. For most dog, dew claws are vestigial. Some breeds have been known to use them but not all. And in hunting breeds, it can be a pain because they can easily be ripped off. So if they are causing a problem, consult your vet see what they say.

• I had an adult rescue dog who had dewclaws removed as an adult but it was because they were detached. They were basically just hanging with the skin. One partially ripped off and then when we had that one removed, they just removed them all (he had all four). It was done under anesthesia.

The dremmel has saved us, but I can see how it would freak some dogs out.