My dog has Tick Paralysis?

I have two Pomeranians, one is 4 and the other is 2, my girl is a little crazy and likes to get in trouble. She has dug under the fence twice and gotten tossed around by the neighbors Huskies. Anyway, they both sleep in their own individual kennels every night. I let them both out this morning to go to the bathroom, then let them back in and opened their doggie door for them to come in and out like they always do, well this afternnon I started noticing that my girl dog started walking funny and thought she was just playing, but then later when I was taking a bath, she was sitting next to the bath but normally puts her paws up to just be closer to me and watch me, but she wouldnt do it.. then it just seemed to get worse, and worse, and she soon wasn't walking at all, was all wabbly. She didnt act like she was in any pain. My husband rubbed over all her body and she didnt cry at all. So I called the emergency vet and wanted to take her in but after giving all the symptoms to the vet, he asked if she had any ticks on her recently, and I told him that my husband pulled one off tonight, and he told me to search her completely because it sounded like "Tick Paralysis" which is when the muscles become paralyzed from the saliva of a tick, and the only way to treat it is to find that certain tick. We had found two more on her, and searched her for a good 30 min and didnt find anymore. We put her a soft blanket in her kennel and put her back in there to sleep for the night and the vet told me it could take hours till she feels better. Has anyone else had a pet or known of a person that has had this, and does this sound right? I took his word, because she isnt in any pain, because she is acting completely relaxed otherwise if she were in any pain, I would have taken her in ASAP but the vet assured me that she should be fine. Any additional information would be great! Thanks!

Comments

• Sounds EXACTLY like Tick Paralysis. Do NOT give up! We found 8 ticks on our dog but the vet couldn't find any. We were misguided by WestVet in Garden City Idaho as they tried to diagnose Lower Motor Neurologic Disease, even though tests were negative. They asked us to take the dog 6 hours to Pullman Washington where they specialize Neurologic Diseases. They also tried to tell us it was spine cancer, lung cancer etc and that Tick Paralysis was "highly unlikely in Idaho. Our dog got weaker and weaker and they convinced us to stop the suffering and in the end we agreed to have our dog put to sleep. I can't forgive myself. In doing research since I have found information that calls out the EXACT Tick Paralysis symptoms our dog had. If you can't find the last offending tick - have them shave the dog or do a tick bath. Even if you can't find the last tick, the disease may have evolved and be stronger - infecting the dog longer than 24 hours after tick removal. Please see links below as it will help you arm yourself.

http://www.petside.com/condition/dog/tick-paralysi...

http://kozmicdreams.com/tickparalysis.htm

I wish you and your pup the best.

• There are numerous special tick borne illnesses. The enterprise Idexx makes a heartworm scan in an effort to experiment for heartworm sickness in addition to tick borne illnesses. Perhaps your vet offers this experiment. It just takes about 3 drops of blood and takes 10 minutes. In case your canine has tick paralysis it's principal to make certain there don't seem to be to any extent further underlying tick problems. Tick Paralysis have got to be monitored, as it may possibly swiftly impact the limbs and spinal cord. Customarily tick borne ailments are dealt with with Doxycline.

• Wow scary eh? Have you used your Internet search engine to search for the disease, its symptoms and treatment?

• Just try to stay calm. If the vet says she will be fine she should be. If syptoms get worse take her back. :D