Do you prefer continental Portuguese or Brazilian Portuguese and why?

Phonetically speaking, I love continental Portuguese, but for me Brazilian Portuguese is much easier to understand and speak since I already speak Spanish. What are your thoughts? I've heard from many that continental Portuguese is more "correct", if this is at all possible.

Share with me your thoughts...

Thanks

Comments

• Iberian Portuguese is no more "correct" than Brazilian Portuguese than British English is than US English - just "different".

I learnt my Portuguese in Portugal but over the past 30-plus years have become more familiar with Brazilian Portuguese as a result of the content and nature of my job.

Brazilian Portuguese *is* clearer - both phonetically and syntactically - than the European version if you speak Spanish but, on the other hand, contains more slang and colloquial usage at all levels. But the two versions are not incompatible. Brazilians that I deal with on a daily basis at work are convinced I am from Portugal whilst, in Portugal, all the people I speak with are convinced I must have learned my Portuguese in Brazil; but no one ever tells me that they can't understand me because I have used a Brazilian or Portuguese form.

Personally, I find the sound of Lusitanian (European) Portuguese more satisfying, but Brazilian Portuguese easier to actually reproduce.

I hope this helps in some way.

• im going to be brutally honest, i find portuguese portuguese to be quite ugly, yet the brasilian form to be soothing and musical. i am quite biased as ive spent some time in brasil and not in portugal, however ive had alot of contact with portuguese descendants here in switzerland and have not been enjoying conversing with them in a dialect which resembles more russian than the glorious melody of chatting with a carioca.