No contact order suggested by a GAL?

I am currently at the end of a child custody battle. We were assigned a GAL who is suggesting the 50/50 placement stays in place.

However, my boyfriend of 1 year has a history which includes assault and domestic disturbances. He was upfront and honest with me about his past and how wrong he knew it was. He has since changed his life dramatically for the better, and has never even done so much to raise his voice to me or my children. He has children of his own who adore him and he treats them like gold. He has joint custody of his children, and has never been accused of abuse or neglect.

I understand that his backround is not ideal in fact it is a mess. I am a very good mother and would never put my children in harm. I am smart enough to know who treats me and my children right. My children adore him.

The GAL is going to recommend a no contact order so that my kids cannot have any contact with him by request of my ex husband.

I dont need any comments or personal opinions, which I am sure will be thrown out there anyway.

What I really need to know us if there is anything that can be done. If this is permanant until my youngest turns 18. If the decision can be appealed or what can be done that might make a difference so tge judge does not approve of the recommendation.

Comments

• The GAL is doing the right thing. Given the history - assuming it's also recent...I don't blame them for erring on the side of caution. I personally, being a mother too, would not want to be involved with any that has a history of violence. After getting out of an abusive marriage myself I know that in general - abusers do not change.