Post Traumatic Stress Disorder...?

Have you ever met someone with PTSD from war or other traumatic events and what did they do (like sleep with their eyes open, other people can't make loud noises around them)?

Comments

• I had it. I couldn't get near metal things if they seemed sharp in the least, and had to be always warm and would go into a panic if I was hungry and not eating right then. I also collect little things I find because I feel affection for them. Buttons, interesting pebbles, etc. And I can get aggressively violent, particularly at Jews. (i was born in a Palestinian refugee camp.) And I get very moody because I'm thinking about everything.

And I will sometimes say things outloud like, "I just want to go home," because I'm thinking of when I was held as a slave. I'll say these things and feel trapped again even when I'm by myself or doing something unrelated.

I also wake up screaming, which scares my wife; but she can't get near me because I'll throw a punch for a few seconds after I wake up.

I'm still very anti-semitic.

• In times of high stress, my husband will wake up in a cold sweat, screaming. It's quite terrifying.

Sometimes he yells or curses in his sleep. That's not something he does when he's awake, so that's also disturbing. He can't always remember what he was dreaming, but often it's from the war or from his childhood.

He doesn't have any waking symptoms, but some people do.

No matter how hard I try, I still get defensive when a door is suddenly thrown open - especially if I think I'm alone. In my childhood, nothing good ever followed when that happened. But I guess that's more a conditioned response than PTSD.

• I once worked with a Vietnam Vet. He was a medic in the Vietnam War. The horror stories of war that he told me were pretty chilling. He said that each night when he goes to bed, he sleeps with his bedroom door open about 2 inches only. He puts something near his door that can only be moved when the door is opened. His reasoning is that if someone comes into his room while he sleeps, he will know it because the object by the door will be out of place and the door will not be in the exact position that he left it. He said he no longer dreams, but he does go to sleep in fear each night that someone will sneak up on him while he is sleeping. This is sad. I think our veterans deserve all the support and help we can possibly give them for the service they provided to our country.

• Yes, I dated someone with ptsd.. I had to stop because he was belligerent when we went out (not with me) and almost always got into a fight. Today the VA has good programs for vets suffering with ptsd from combat or any traumatic event.

• I have PTSD. I tend to have a lot of trouble sleeping (i.e. won't sleep for a couple of days at a time), I get startled very easily, I have irrational fear that the same thing is going to happen again by the same person even though I know he is in prison, I have flashbacks of the trauma, nightmares, I check and recheck that I have locked my doors, I have to search the house when I get home (under beds, in closets) to make sure no one is in my house.

• Any one can have it, especially young children, due to their parents fighting all the time. It may differ from person to person, depending on what occurred. certain things can trigger a flash back. You need to get them help, someone who is experienced in this type stress disorder. Usually there is groups, some in the state department that would come out to your home and work with the person, especially children, it's good to work with the children as soon as possible. They can do test, to see what types of work need to be done in what areas.

• Yes. I have met PTSD clients. I am a psychotherapist.

• your compassion, overwhelms me......