How do I remotely access my desktop through a server?

Currently I use remote desktop to gain access to my server. Normally this would suffice, as many of the functions I use our company server for, are accessible on the server ( namely our accounting program and >Update:

OS on the server is Win Server 2012, OS on home computer is XP Professional, OS on Desktop is Win7 professional.... if that helps

Comments

• There are a number of methods that can remote into a computer more securely than Windows Remote Desktop because they are encrypted. And it does not require opening any ports into the network because basically a program would run on your PC at work that would (automatically) connect to their internet server and your home computer would do the same. Based on an ID/password for that program on the destination computer, the Internet server would connect the 2 together. Hamachi supports Windows or Mac and I recently installed a Linux beta version on my home PC and laptop that works.

Some examples are Teamviewer, Logmein, and GoToMyPC. Logmein also has a VPN called Hamachi that can be used to tie multiple remote computers together as though they were on a virtual LAN. That is often used for gaming between friends, but with the pay version you could actually connect through your work computer to access other things on its LAN that cannot run Hamachi (like printers or other devices).