2008 Pontiac G6 A/C problem?

My 2008 Pontiac G6 A/C isn't working properly. It's blowing slightly cool air, but nowhere near as cold as before. When I press the A/C button I hear a click come from the engine, but no cold air comes through the vents. My father recharged the A/C and it didn't solve the problem. He said the clutch is engaging and the refrigerant is full, any ideas? Hopefully the compressor is still working.

Comments

• You might have an expansion valve problem where it is not letting the refrigerant stay in the evaporator long enough enough to cool. A way to check this is to carefully touch the refrigerant line going to the condenser. (the part on the front of the car) Normally it is hot. If it is cold to the touch, that is your problem. I do not recommend changing the expansion valve unless you have extensive training on automotive A/C systems. If this is not the case, you might have a clogged filter/dryer. In this case, the pressure during the refilling of refrigerant would have gone higher than normal expectations.

On another note, I was disappointed in game 7 with the Blackhawks as I am sure you are too. I am 63 years old and am tired of seeing them take it from the Wings all my life. That penalty shot was bull shift.

• If the system has a leak on the suction side and the refrigerant is low, the compressor can pull a vacuum on the suction side instead of the normal 20-30 PSI and pull air into the system. If the system has a bunch of air mixed with the freon it won't cool properly even if everything is running, and also if there was a lot of moisture pulled into the system it will freeze at the expansion valve and clog it. At this point you should find out where the leak is, repair it, change the filter dryer, and vacuum the system out before recharging it. Anything else is just a waste of time and money, I recommend that you let a shop take this on.

• How does u dad knows it is full? Without hooking up gauges and kmowing low side and high side pressures it could b anything. Bad compressor bad orface tube bad dryer not enough peg oil not enough freon