Upgrade Windows XP to Vista?

Was doing a vista upgrade for my dad, and used the CD supplied by Dell to uninstall everything that would cause Vista to fail. Once I did that, I proceded to install Vista. Result: Blue Screen of Death after installation. Tried to start on safe mode, same result. Of course, I have no idea what the screen says, since it only lasts for about 2 seconds, probably gonna take a picture of it tomorrow.

Question: Would it be better if I formatted the whole drive and installed a clean copy of Vista? I'm supposed to be doing an upgrade, so I don't know if that will matter at all.

Comments

• Yes, a clean format is better. It's still possible to do it even though it's an upgrade. See http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=196

• Yes, formatting the drive will install the Vista.

• I definately recommend a format and do a clean Full Install

The link below tells you how to work around a Upgrade Version to Full Version install

• Best stay with xp. Upgrading to Vista generally seems to be a baaaad move.

• i too had the same trouble, it should ask you how you wont to do it :upgrade or clean, just remember if you choose clean you will loose everything all files, everything, but i did a clean install and mine runs great now.

• If its an upgrade cd

it might ask for your original xp cd

• i would go with a frsh install of vista actually you have no choice and when u do it go with nfst. no partition no fat this way it will all be new! good luck