How do I report a scam?

I applied to numerous jobs on Craigslist and got this letter two days later. It is totally a scam and would like to know how and to who to report it to. It is so disappointing to really need a job and get this, or worse how many people actually fall victim to these scams.

Thank you for you input.

Dear Applicant,

Congratulations! This is a tentative offer of employment for the available warehouse position with Heineken USA.

As you know, this position pays a generous hourly wage, plus benefits, and also provides potential to earn both pay increases and growth opportunities into management and executive level positions. We are hiring rapidly at this time, and are fully prepared to make you an employment offer, provided that you comply with the rest of the recruitment terms.

This is a full-time position. Depending on your experience and physical ability, you will be working either inside the warehouse in packing and shipping, outside on the truck-loading team, or operating a forklift. These jobs vary in pay as well as physical and mental demands. Your starting wage will be based on your experience level, as well as the results of your preliminary strength and logic aptitude exams. Some experience working in a warehouse setting is preferred, but not required, as fully paid training will be provided.

To accept these terms and move on to the final stage of the recruitment process, you must provide us with a current copy of your credit report to go in your employment file. Heineken USA, Inc. has a zero-tolerance policy in regards to theft of company property. Your credit scores and payment history are not important to us; rather it is a means of verifying your identity, and will also serve as your acceptance of the position. Once you fill out the report, an email is automatically generated that notifies us of your acceptance. Upon receiving notfication that you have completed yoru report, we immediately mail your new hire paperwork along with times for your orientation and uniform fitting. Be sure to bring 2 forms of identification with you to the orientation.

Your free report can be obtained here: http://usareports.org/employee05779/

This tentative offer of employment will expire in three (3) full business days past the date sent. If you have any questions, please contact me directly.

We appreciate your interest in joining the team at Heineken USA, Inc., and hope you decide to come aboard!

Tiffany Madrigal

Director of Human Resources

Heineken USA, Inc.

This message contains information from Heineken USA, Inc. that may be confidential and privileged. If you are not an intended recipient, please refrain from any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this information and note that such actions are prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately.

Comments

• I just got this message this morning also. so disappointing when youre actually trying to look for a job and this stuff comes up. It gets you excited and then you read about the scam they turn out to be. The red flag for me was the credit report request. Anyway, I hope youre keeping on and putting out your resume, because i certainly am. Good Luck

• Hello,

I too received a similar email as you read below, it is truly a shame that people have to send these types of letters, especially when the unemployment rate is as high as it is:

Hello,

Congratulations! This is a tentative offer of employment for the available Administrative Assistant position in the corporate offices of Heineken USA.

As you know, this position pays a generous salary, plus benefits, and also provides potential to earn additional bonuses and incentives throughout the year. We are hiring rapidly at this time, and are fully prepared to make you an employment offer, provided that you comply with the rest of the recruitment terms.

This is a full-time position. You will be responsible for assisting the VP, filing, keeping track of interoffice expenses and supplies, reserving conference rooms, answering phones, planning travel for sales executives, payroll review, and other related tasks. Experience working as a receptionist, secretary, or administrative assistant is helpful, but not required as fully paid training is provided.

To accept these terms and move on to the final stage of the recruitment process, you must provide us with a current copy of your credit report to go in your employment file. Heineken USA, Inc. has a zero-tolerance policy in regards to theft of company property. Your actual credit scores and payment history are not important to us; rather it is a means of verifying your identity, and will also serve as your acceptance of the position. Once you fill out the report, an email is automatically generated that notifies us of your acceptance of the position. Once we receive notification that you have completed the report, we immediately mail you new-hire paperwork along with times for the next orientation. Be sure to bring 2 forms of identification with you to the orientation.

Your free report can be obtained here: http://usareports.org/employee05779/

We are hiring very aggressively, therefore this tentative offer of employment will expire three (3) full business days after the date sent. If you choose not to accept the offer, or have any questions, please email me directly.

We appreciate your interest in joining the team at Heineken USA, Inc. and hope you decide to come aboard!

Sincerely,

Tiffany Madrigal

Director of Human Resources

Heineken USA, Inc.

This message contains information from Heineken USA, Inc. that may be confidential and privileged. If you are not an intended recipient, please refrain from any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this information and note that such actions are prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately.

• I received this email this morning as well. What I did was go into the Heineken website and sent in a comment reporting what happened. Hopefully I'll get a reply soon. Keep at it man. I can't even count the amount of people I've sent resumes to anymore lol. Good luck.

• I'm glad you recognized the scam. Yes, it's very frustrating for job seekers to get bombarded with fake employment offers.

You can report the scams on an anti fraud site like http://scamwarners.com/ so that the information, including email addresses used, will show up in searches for others and hopefully prevent people from falling victim.

If the scammer is using a fraudulent website he has set up instead of just a free webmail address, like Yahoo.com, ScamWarners can get it shut down.

You can also report the scam using their name to Heineken. If the scam is prevalent enough, they may put a warning on their site. Look for the "contact us" button on their website: http://siab.heineken.com/usa/

• SCAM - any "job offer" that requires you to go to a specific credit check, background check or skills assessment website is always a scam to steal your identity and get your credit card number to max it out. NEVER go to any particular site

That offer is NOT from Heineken - a call to Heineken USA's head office in White Plains will confirm they are not behind this http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?hl=en&client=f...

I am sure they would like to know that scammers are using their name so they can get their security and legal teams involved

Also report to the FBI's IC3 division http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx which investigates internet crime

If you ever get another email like this write back to say that you just got an Experian or TransUnion credit report that you will bring WITH YOU to the interview. You never give this information before you visit the company office.The scammers usually use legitimate company names. If they do not agree, then you know this is not legit.

It's scary how many people actually fall for this and enter enough information on a "credit report" site for any scammer to steal their identity and start opening new credit cards and taking out loans in that person's name

• It would probably depend on how she received the information. If it was sent to her through the mail you should contact the postal inspectors. Your local post office can tell you how to go about that. If it was an email or phone solicitation I think the FTC is the organization to contact. In any case contact her state attorney generals' office, many are online so do some searching or go to her state website and there will probably be a link there.

• So many people here reading and applying to the same ad and receiving the same email,

myself included.

The thought that comes to my mind is that I bet that not all of us live in the same area and that

this scam is wide spread. I am near Chicago, How about everyone else?