is a piano a string instrument?

me and my friends where debating on how a piano is not a sting instrument and i said it isn't and my friends said it is so whats your opinion

Comments

• I'm a Pianist, and I do not consider the Piano a Stringed Instrument, because: You can not touch the Strings. O do not consider a percurssion Instrumente either. I prefer out it In the Family if the Keyboards, with the Hapischord, and the Great Organ.

The Orchestral Stringed Instruments are: The Violin, the Viola Dell'arco, the Cello, the Coouterbass, and the Harp. You can TOUCH the strings.

• It is a Keyboard Instrument

Keyboard instruments are there own Family of Musical instruments

they consist of Celestas, Claviers, Harpsichord and much more!

Some people place the piano in the percussion family due to the little hammers that hit the string

and some people place it in the Strings family due to the strings it s made up of

Although as much as those 2 examples sound interesting.

The Piano is NOT a String Instrument, it DOES HAVE STRINGS

But it is in its own family

• Piano is technically a Percussion instrument: a little known fact. Although there are strings inside it, when playing the instrument, the player does not create the sounds themselves, but rather causes small hammers to hit the strings and make the sound, thus making it a percussion instrument rather than a stringed instrument such as a violin.

• It has strings but it's more often classified as a percussion instrument because hammers inside the piano hit the strings. When someone talks about learning a string instrument they don't mean piano.

• Yes.

It is true that it can be considered both a string and a percussion instrument. Percussion because the hammers hit on the string, and string because the sound is produced by the hammer hitting on the strings, however the different sounds are given by the tension of the string. So it could be correct saying that strings determine different sounds rather than the percussion of the hammer (which is the same everywhere).

Percussion is important because it determines "piano" and "forte" while you play this instrument.

However Piano belongs to the family of Harpsichords and can also be associated to the Harp. So it can be considered both a percussion and string instrument

• Musical instruments are classified by how the sound is produced. In a piano, when you press one of the keys it causes a padded hammer to strike the corresponding strings. Because of this hammer mechanism a piano is technically a percussion instrument, even though what you hear is the sound made by the vibrating strings.

• No, it is not a string instrument. Strictly speaking it is a chordophone. It is actually a percussion instrument. The strings in a piano are nothing like that found on a violin. They are under such tension that they actually behave more like the bars on a glockenspiel than the strings on a real string instrument. Strings of string instruments are also plucked or rubbed to create the sound - rarely are they struck.

• Piano is classified as Pitched Percussion. Although it has strings, little hammers inside the piano hit the strings to produce the sound.

:)

• It is a mix of string and percussion. Though piano players don't like people calling it a percussion though...

(percussion because if you look inside, the strings are being hit by hammers)

• A piano is a string instrument, since when you push down on the keys you're actually pushing a lever which taps a specific string to produce a note. It is also considered a percussion/rhythm section intrument in a big band.