Do I plead guilty or no contest?

I was cited because my dogs aren't microchipped and don't have city licenses.

I JUST moved here. I knew they needed to be licensed, but thought I had 6 months. I however didn't know about the chip. I don't agree with chipping. I firmly believe it causes tumors.

I am in fact guilty of not having them licensed and chipped, but feel they were called out under false pretences and I feel I should have been issued a warning due to my short amount of time living in the area.

Comments

• A no contest plea is only used if there is a possibility of a civil lawsuit after the criminal proceedings (where a guilty plea would be evidence).

You could protest the ticket, and explain your lack of knowledge to the hearing officer. It may or may not make a difference. Hint: I wouldn't volunteer the "chips cause tumors" theory.

• BEFORE, you go to the court hearing, have your dog licensed and micro-chipped and bring with you to court.

I would plea not guilty, that you can argue ignorance of the time frame and the law, and might even state you believe that micro chip could cause tumors, (but), to comply, you have done this.

Just like with auto tickets, it is up to the officer to issue a warning vs a ticket. Depending where you live or the circumstances, the officer may not have had a choice but to ticket you.

With your evidence, the judge might go easy with you. But, be polite and keep saying yes judge.