Do atheists celebrate <span >christmas</span>?

If an Atheist celebrate, what are they celebrating? I do it for the family times. I am not Atheist but do feel I am a reformed Christian. I celebrate the act of giving, and loving unconditionally ,

Comments

• It's a commercial holiday, with the giving and the receiving and the hey hey hey it hurts me. (Simpsons reference)

I "celebrate" christmas, but it's really just a family gathering where gifts are given and received. There is no glorifying of Jesus McChristerton or anything like that. Commercial America has overtaken the "real" meaning of christmas.

Le pwnt.

• yeah most of them they just don't celebrate the Jesus part. u see us christians changed Christmas from the day of christs birth 2 a different date so as 2 prevent the atheists from destroying all of us. we had to also change the holiday around in order for the athiest 2 think we were celebrating somthing else. God Bless u.

• I don't celebrate it as a religious holiday; I rather like its pagan roots. And I think most atheists would celebrate it for the same reasons: A chance to see family and friends, a day off work, a chance to have some good food, get a little tipsy, kiss a pretty girl under the mistletoe and maybe collect a little loot. What's not to celebrate? ;-)

• I don't see why they shouldn't since the origin of Christmas has little to do with Christ. there is the commercial side to it also. In Japan there is only 1% Christian but most of Japan celebrates Christmas and hardly any of them know who Jesus is.

• No, Atheists do not celebrate Christmas. Only Christians do that.

• Yes, it's just a formal secular addition to the practice upon the time of the year anyway, as I doubt there was a single pine tree involved in the nativity. In fact, Christ's birth has much less to do with Christmas in its current form than does the equinox or Coca Cola (Coca Cola invented santa clause)...

• Honestly, who cares whether atheists celebrate Christmas or not?

• relies upon on the atheist. i'm an agnostic and nevertheless 'celebrate' it with my relatives. by utilising myself, I possibly would not, provided that Christmas isn't the day that Jesus grow to be born. He grow to be born in March, besides the undeniable fact that it grow to be too close to to Easter, and it grow to be much less complicated to transform the Pagans by utilising shifting it to their wintry climate joyful party. comparable with Easter. And Mardis Gras. and various the holiday journeys Christians celebrate.

• Yes, Christmas in a modern sense has quite little to do with Christ

It has become more of a commercial holiday

• no but they may choose to follow all the holidays including Christmas. they are allowed to do this because they do it through a commercial and social kind of thing instead of a religious kind of thing. who doesn't love giving and getting presents?