do i need a passport to drive to canada?

i want to go to canada to visit my girlfriend and im not sure if i need a passport or not. can anyone help?

Update:

oh and im american i should say lol

Comments

• Yes you'll need a passport regardless of whether you're driving or flying.

• as of June this year you need a passport, however, there are two options now. There's the full passport, and the passport card. The passport card is only good for land and water travel to canada, mexico, the caribbean and bermuda. It only costs $45 where the full passport costs $110. So if your not planning on flying out of the country anytime soon it could be a good way to save a few bucks. Also, it takes about 3 weeks to get it.

• There are a few different options to enter Canada by land. You can use a passport card which is cheaper than the passport book, also if you live in a northern state you can use an Enhanced Drivers License/ID, and also a nexus card. But if you are going to fly you then need a passport book only.

• You do need a passport, whether you drive, fly, walk or swim.

• Yes, before you only need to show your birth certificate. Now you have to show your US passport.

• Yes. You need it to pass over the boarder no matter what you're using to get there. In a car, you can either use a passport book or card.

I don't mean to spam, but someone please answer my question ASAP:

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Al...

• Yea u need

• Yes you will.

I am Canadian so I know these things.

• yes you do