How do I remove a natural gas end cap?

We have a natural gas line for our barbeque at the back of the house. I recently bought my first natural gas BBQ but I can't get the end cap of the natural gas line. It looks like it has been painted over. Any tips or ideas on how to safely remove this? Here is a picture of what a typical end cap looks like - www.atcogas.com/Safety/images/uncapped3.jpg .

Comments

• First, turn off the gas. Probably at the meter.

You'll need a pipe wrench, and one for back up or a pair of channellock pliers for back up. Don't let the pipe move as you attempt to screw the cap off counter clockwise. To the left.

Put a gas stop on. Use pipe dope on threads of fittings. You can complete your hook up of the grill.

Turn meter on slowly. Soap your gas stop for leaks. Joy and water in a spray water is ideal. It's what I use.

Lite all appliances that need it then get back to your grill and finish checking for leaks. You may have to 'bleed' air before trying to lite the grill.

I really wish you'd call a plumber or experienced friend on this.

• Just make sure to gas is shut off. if you have a gas stove or a gas water heater let the gas burn off until it goes out by it's self, Then use a couple of pipe wrenches. one to Hold the pipe and the other to bite like hell into the cap and turn counter clockwise. U may have to get a new cap, but use a thread sealer to make sure.

• There is little doubt that the so called global warming is nothing more than the earths natural cycle. It was not cavemen in SUV's that melted the last Ice Age. And in the 1970's we were told we were heading into another ice age for the same reasons we are being told we have global warming. Fine. If we are making these changes then lets do the right thing. We need first less dependence on foreign oil. So lets start drilling. And while we are less dependant on foreign oil lets get our scientists busy on finding the right replacement or replacements for carbon based fuel. Let us not allow some politician or political group force feed us the wrong thing. This should be done by Scientists not politicians. SFC US Army Retired

• I could not access your website. Most gas caps are screwed on. It would be best to use two pipe wrenches. One on the cap to turn it counter-clockwise and one on the pipe (the opposite direction) to keep the pipe from turning out and causing a leak. Make sure the valve behind the cap is turned off.

• WILL if you have LPG or nat'l gas the fittings are all in reverse from normal nuts and bolts.

get a couple of channel locks or crescents and put them on the nuts and caps and turn clockwise for off and counter for on.

remember they are opposite for LPG and Nat'l gas.

the only difference is the orifices, one is smaller, so that's not your worry, but the direction is! Look at the cap and notice the thread direction...that'll tell you too in the event someone has placed the wrong caps on the lines.