Do bunnies actually sleep?

I have this 1 year old bunny his name is coco and whenever i look at him he is always awake, and of course when i'm asleep i don't know if he sleeps or not. I always see him do a bunny flop but never sleep?!?!?! Any tips?

Comments

• All I can say here is, my rabbits play with their toys that have bells both day and night! I think that rabbits are nocturnal in nature, but we probably train them to be as ours are now. Ours sleep off and on during the day. I've noticed when they tend to be awake and take their treats at these times, or take them for walks, or play with them. As far as I can tell, rabbits are not deep sleepers. They survive by noticing every noise around them. They can therefore hear when you creep over to see if they're asleep.

If your bunny weren't sleeping, it would die. Sleep helps your body regenerate. Without it you WOULD die, and so would they. You would notice it being listless before it got that far. Any mammal that is sleep-deprived hasn't got enough energy to get-up and do much of anything.

• Many rabbits sleep with their eyes open. I didn't realize this until I had my first rabbit and I couldn't ever catch her with her eyes closed. Then after watching her for a while I realized that when she is all settled down or flopped over she is sleeping, but rabbits don't sleep that deeply so by the time you would get near enough to touch the rabbit or even really check on the rabbit it would already be awake. The rabbit I have right now also sleeps with her eyes open but is a little more likely to be seen from time to time with her eyes partly closed.

• They're primarily nocturnal (sleep/nap during the day, awake at night). Our bunnies are pretty quiet all day long....cuddled up together under the table or whatever, and then they start getting active around dinner time at night.

Just let your bunny be...it's doing what comes naturally -- and I can assure you that it's getting plenty of sleep.

BTW, our rabbits snooze with their eyes partially open, so they always look awake -- maybe yours is doing the same!

• Rabbits do not have eyelids so do not fully shut their eyes, your rabbit does sleep, they sleep quite often actually. Usually during mid day and are most active during night and mornings. Most bunnies sleep with eyes half open, looking more relaxed then asleep.

• yes they do but only about 2 hours iv never seen them sleep tho