My dog has giardia...?

apart from putting my dog on medication the vet told me to make sure that the dogs poop is cleaned upstraight away each time and the area is disinfected to avoid re-contamination later on...but how do you dissinfect grass and dirt? (without killing teh grass)

Comments

• You have to use a bleach/water solution. It may ruin the grass, but it's worth it. Otherwise, go to a feed store and find a kennel spray that disinfects - ask a sales rep, they will help you. Let them know you are disinfecting the yard after the dog does goes potty.

• Well, first off it is started by infected water, keep the water bowls clean, a little bleach will help that too, and yes, a good disinfectant kennel spray is all you need. Make sure you clean up every spot of poop, and don't worry about killing the grass, this is your dogs health! Good luck Hon!

• I hope the little one will be okay. We had 2 pups get giardia due to our contaminated drinking water. We lost one but the other one made it. They get giradia from drinking contaminated water. I wouldn't think they could get it just from walking on the same area where the dog had been/pooped.

• You grass will suffer, bleach and anything harsh will kill the grass. Can you try taking your dog to go to a specific area? At least then it would be confined to one area and less damage.

• You should probably go ahead and treat him with a course of Flagyl for the giardia if he is having loose stool, and also clean the grassy areas. You have giardia on your property and probably will never get rid of it.