Dorm room vs Apartment?

I'm going to NYU for university and I'm wondering, your opinion, would it be better to live in an apartment close by, or to live in the residences?

Comments

• If you are new to the city and don't know very many people, get a dorm room! While they may not be all the glamor of apartment living, it will force you to get out and meet people. Also, dorm living makes you better connected to the university and it is a great way to learn about events the school is having, and groups to join.

• Dorm room. It is definitely cheaper. Renting or subletting apartments in NYC is incredibly expensive (you would probably sublet, which is when you stay in a tenants home while they are on vacation or something...you'd sublet because you will likely go home for the summer, so you wouldn't want to pay rent for an apartment you won't live in.) I subletted an apartment in NYC with my boyfriend this summer. It was 500 square feet, included a kitchen, and was $2,800 a month. You will be hard-pressed to find a nice apartment that's under $2,000, though you could probably get a kind of yucky apartment for $800-1,000 if you're lucky.

If you live in an apartment, you will need to cook for yourself, which is annoying, and groceries are expensive in NYC too. Being on the NYU meal plan will save you time and probably money as well.

You'll miss out on the dynamics of dorm life, which is really important in making friends.

Also, check to see if NYU even allows you to live off-campus. Many colleges don't let you do this until at least your sophomore year.

• Residence halls usually average a higher cost, especially after you add in cost of mandatory meal plans. There is less freedom (no drinking, no overnight boys, no smoking, you can get in trouble for all kinds of stuff). Of course there is the benefit of being right on campus, less chance you'll be late for classes, very accessible library, etc.

• ... good question. I'd say either one is fine, but if I had to choose, I'd get an apartment, if I had the money.