Do restaurants use high fructose corn syrup?

Hi, I'm just wondering if restaurants put high fructose corn syrup into their dishes? For example, I see that the Marie Callender frozen dinners and pies have hfcs in them, but I can't imagine if I ordered the same item in their restaurant it would be there - or would it? I'm thinking if they used an ingredient that already contained hfcs, then yes; but with the pie example, I can't think of any ingredient they'd use (in most pies - different if they smothered it in hot fudge or something) that would already contain hfcs... yet all their frozen pies in the stores do.) So I guess I'm just wondering is there a difference... Any thoughts?

Comments

• No, it's basically just used in prepackaged sugary things like poptarts and fruit rollups. Restaurants generally use ingredients that you can buy at a grocery store.

• HFCS causes hardening of the arteries, among other bad things. Most restaurants use it and most processed foods have it since it is a very cheap source of sweetener. You have so many other sources of sweeteners. Simply google alternative sweeteners. Since most of the corn are now genetically modified, you get the second whammy: the very toxic GLYPHOSATE. Google the Seralini Study and see the humungous tumors growing out of the mice fed with GMO corn. The tumors are bigger than the mice themselves. There are a lot of detractors and disinformers out there, but if you really follow the thread of the controversy about the Seralini Study, you will eventually realize that they cannot knock down a legitimate research. a few hundred scientists worldwide stood by Dr. Seralini when the powers that be tried to shoot down his conclusions as misleading. MONSANTO is misleading!!!

• Many restaurants have significant parts of the dishes made elsewhere, so yes, those likely would have HFCS.

In pies, the fillings likely would, and even the crusts may. Most fruit fillings they use are not going to be from fresh fruit, and many will be kept in sweetened sauces.

• High Fructose Corn Syrup is in almost all processed foods with few exceptions including many condiments. It would be as difficult for restaurants to avoid products with HFC as it is most Americans who consume processed foods daily whether in fast food or at home.

If you go to non-chain restaurants that cook using the freshiest ingredients and make everything from scratch, you are more likely to avoid HFC.

If its a chain like Marie-Callendars or Perkins, I'd bet that its in all their bakery products, in their syrups, and in many of their meals, especially anything using a barbecue or terriyaki sauce.

I think it would be easier to avoid HFC in an individuals diet by reading labels and having it removed from products in home kitchens.

The HFC producers put advertisements on television telling us that HFC is fine in moderation, but fail to mention that its practically impossible to consume it in moderation since its in almost everything processsed especially bakery items (including many breads), condiments (including salad dressings, ketchup, pickles and even some mustards), yogurts, many beverages.

Its even in products that never had sugar in the past. Its often there because Americans like sweet tasting things so food processors up the sweetness with HFC to increase sales, not because the product needs it.

As HFC's were added to foods more and more starting in the 70's, we got more and more used to that super sweet taste. Now its a habit.

Drinking diet drinks with artificial sweetners don't really help either because it perpetuates our desire for sweet in our foods and beverages although in decades past we didn't eat as many sweet things.

Best way to avoid HFC is to eat mostly fresh or frozen fruit & vegetables rather than processed meals. Avoid condiments with HFC by reading the label or making your own. People used to know how to make simple salad dressings in minutes.

For a sweet tasting dessert beyond fruit, make it yourself from scratch or read the label on the box you're buying. You'd be surprised at how many salty snacks have HFC.

• No, but the ingredients they buy may contain it.

It's something factories and mass producers add.

• Depends. Luckily they are required to provide nutritional information, so you can just ask.