A police officer kept my insurance card, is this normal?

I was pulled over for speeding, so when the police officer came to my window, I gave him my license and insurance card. He went back to his car and when he came back, he just gave me warning. However, he only gave me back my driver's license.

I noticed this when I got home. Is this normal procedure so he can track me to make sure I don't speed again?

By the way, I'm 17 almost 18 and driving my parents car if that makes a difference.

Update:

We have multiple copies in the car, so will he just keep it? Lol.

Comments

• It was either an honest mistake or he kept it as a trophy.

• elementary mistake...they are meant to return it to you which ones incorporate your license. i might advise which you call the dep. he works for and in basic terms say "hi, I won a warning the different day from Officer So and So (call could desire to be on quotation) and he did not return my evidence of coverage. Do you have it on the dep. and if so could I come get it?" each and every now and then they are going to hold it. If not, all they are going to say is "No sorry we don't have your card" and you nonetheless have evidence of coverage which incorporate your different copies. you would be wanting to dial the non-emergency quantity (not 911 or something :) and you gets the quantity with a google seek, ex "fort Myers, FL Police branch" or everywhere you reside. do not trouble approximately your mum and dad, all human beings has an "oops" each and every now and then and that i actual doubt the officer is going to seek you down and supply you your card returned.

• No, he should have returned it to you.

However, as far as I am aware, the insurance company can always send you another copy, and it shouldn't cost you anything.

• You can also keep his police ID

• No, you should have gotten it back