Does time affect pH levels?

i am testing ph levels of waters from different locations, would it matter when i got the samples? because i got some samples a couple of days ago, and others today and i have to test them tomorrow. Would it make any difference?

Comments

• depends. is it JUST water?

Think of a pool. you change the ph of a pool and have to keep doing it because the levels drop.

• Yes, water quality will degrade with time and so the pH readings will change but it depends on the quality of the water in the first place and the accuracy that you want to achieve. Best to check within 24 hours or refrigerate the sample if this is not practical.

• Yes, temperature does affect the pH of solutions. pH is -log[H(+)] and so anything that affects the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution will affect the pH. The easiest example to look at is pure water which has a pH of 7 at 25 Celsius, a pH of about 6.6 at 50 Celsius and a pH of about 7.5 at 0 Celsius. This is because the dissociation of pure water, H2O <=> H(+) + OH(-) is an endothermic process so heating it up increases the dissociation and increases the hydrogen ion concentration. At 50 C the conc. of H(+) is about 2.34 x 10(-7) compared to 1 x 10(-7) at 25 C and about 0.33 x 10(-7) at 0 C.

• Well there are some things that could affect it, but generally speaking the pH level is created by having things dissolved in the water.

Reactions over time, perhaps exposure to sunlight or increases in temperature, reactions with solids or solids in suspension in the liquid, could change this.

So basically store what you have in an appropriate manner, in a glass (not plastic) container, don't expose it to high temperatures, and test as soon as possible (a few days won't matter).

• If the O2 and CO2 levels are released into the air, the pH will change as well. (at least it does in blood)

• the water can change its pH by absorbing CO2 from the atmosphere

it can also change its pH by absorbing certain substances from the container in which it is kept.

• No not within that time space. Your safe :)

• not so much its alright

• i have no clue sorry