Do you need a passport to enter Canada from the US?

I know this law was supposed to change, did it already happen so that you need a passport now?

Comments

• If you are traveling into Canada from the US by air you will need a passport, that went into effect at the end of January. If you will going by car or taking a cruise you don't need a passport - that is not set to change until January of 2008. For the best information you should go the DHS website http://www.dhs.gov/

Have a great trip!

• As of January 1, 2007, you will know need to present a valid Passport to Customs when entering Canada and returning to the United States.

• It depends on how you are traveling into Canada, if by plane then yes, if by car or boat, no. The folllowing is from the US Department of State website re: new regulations for travel between US and Canada.

Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by AIR between the United States and Canada, will be required to present a valid passport.

As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada by LAND or SEA (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport.

• I don't know about passport requirements to enter Canada, but to enter the US from any foreign country, by air, a passport is now required. And soon a passport will be required to enter by any form of transportation. ... Even climbing a fence or swimming a river 80)

• I don't know what Canada's regulations are for crossing INTO Canada from the US, but for US Citizens to RETURN to the US after a visit to Canada you do indeed need a passport!

• Traveling by air, yes you do.

Traveling by foot or car, not until 2008.

• Yes.

With the new homeland security laws you do. You used to be able to use your license .