Car Insurance problem?

I need to renew my car insurance in the next few days but I am also moving to a new address in under 3 weeks time. This new address offers me much cheaper car insurance. I don't use my car much and can do without using it all for 3 weeks. If it is parked on the road and fully taxed is it a legal requirement to insure the vehicle even if it isn't used. I can live with it being stolen or damaged but I wouldn't want to be fined for being uninsured. The only problem with insuring the vehicle under my current postcode is that I'm at the whim of the insurance companies to what discount they offer me when I actually move. All the insurers I have phoned can't guarantee a fixed price for the new postcode if I register my the policy under my current postcode for the first 3 weeks. My main concern is not to do anything illegal so at the end of the day it's not worth saving money if I am going to get in to trouble or be fined.

Update:

My current insurer will not extend the policy for 3 weeks.

Comments

• It must be insured if it is to be driven on a public road, not sure if parked up to be honest but assume it should be insured, don't you have a friend with a drive or know of somewhere with private land to park on for 3 weeks? I doubt the insurance company will offer a refund for the difference in the premium once you move, they will just amend the policy as change of detail.

• Compare quotes for free at - INSURERATESNOW.INFO-

RE Car Insurance problem?

I need to renew my car insurance in the next few days but I am also moving to a new address in under 3 weeks time. This new address offers me much cheaper car insurance. I don't use my car much and can do without using it all for 3 weeks. If it is parked on the road and fully taxed is it a legal requirement to insure the vehicle even if it isn't used. I can live with it being stolen or damaged but I wouldn't want to be fined for being uninsured. The only problem with insuring the vehicle under my current postcode is that I'm at the whim of the insurance companies to what discount they offer me when I actually move. All the insurers I have phoned can't guarantee a fixed price for the new postcode if I register my the policy under my current postcode for the first 3 weeks. My main concern is not to do anything illegal so at the end of the day it's not worth saving money if I am going to get in to trouble or be fined.

• Don't you know anyone with a private driveway that can take your car for 3 weeks?

Or take it to a garage for a service, tell them you are in no hurry to get it back as you are going on holiday for 3 weeks.

Or, you could just get an insurance telling them your new address! I would do this.

In the Uk you don't need to insure it so long as you don't drive it and if it is taxed you can leave it on the road.

• Hi Chris

dodgy one this....

Basically ans i suppose technicallly, your not breaking the law its its taxed and not illegally parked.no-one would know its not insured and if they were i cannot find what they could do, unless your in the drivers seat with the keys to hand.

So on this one, whilst i agree its a little frustrating, you could leave it parked and secured at your own risk.

or try asking to leave it at work for a few weeks, or a friends drive / garage, if its a banger it wont matterm but if its a good motor, then i would aska few friends,you could take a policy out at your current address, and when you move chnage it then, if its cheaper you will get some money back but not as much as there will be a nominal fee (mine was £14.95) by admiral.

good luck!

• Ask your current insurance company if they can extend the current policy for a month, if not there a speicalist companies out there that offer insurance for a short period of time just google it, then once you have moved and everything is good renew the insurance.

• What would happen if somebody would hit your car whilst yours was parked. If you were going to claim of their insurrance, then you would still need your insurance to do this.

Can't you put it on private land somewhere for the 3 weeks that you are not going to be using it.

That way you can declare the vehicle SORN (statutory off road notification). That way you would not need tax mot or insurrance untill you inform DVLA that it is back on the road.

• via all skill cancel in case you pick yet... If it is going to be parked off-highway or in a storage you ought to to have hearth & theft conceal or you would be responsible for any harm to the two automobile and storage if something occurred and you does not be waiting to declare if it develop into stolen. no remember if it somewhat is on a highway you may opt to have it taxed and insured a minimum of one/3 occasion too yet interior the form of an uninsured motor vehicle colliding with it you've gotten not have been given any way of saying for harm to it so i might propose keeping complete conceal

• Hi

To keep your car on a public road, it MUST be taxed, MOT'd, and 3rd party insured in case something happens and your car is liable (handbrake failure etc...)

Simple as that!

Very best regards

Geordie

• well, it is a legal requirement that if a vehicle is kept on a public highway, then it must be insured. I found very good and cheap insurance companies Here: http://all-car-insurance.blogspot.com/

• Get insurance quotes