Temporary Chinchilla Cage?

Hi, I am getting ready to purchase two chinchilla from a breeder. I've purchased a cage on the internet, and it has been back ordered. I am supposed to pick up my new chins from the breeder before the cage will be here. Would it be too stressful on them to house them in a smaller (but big enough for two to run around) cage until the larger one can get here? Is it fine to use a temporary chinchilla cage if it is only for a week or two at the most?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Agreed - it shouldn't hurt them as long as you put the temp. cage in the same place as the other cage will go. Then their environment won't change so dramatically.

As for where to get one and what kind to get, you can check Petco or Petsmart or any other pet store. They may have some cages on sale or just small, cheap ones that will do for now. Size will be easy to judge just by looking at it - there are some that will seem ridiculously small and others that are just too big to only be used for a week. I don't know much about chinchillas, but it may benefit them to be in a small, cozy space for a while as they get used to their new home and surroundings. Then, perhaps, they will feel comfortable enough to explore their new, bigger cage.

• This shouldn't cause a problem. Just be sure that since it is a smaller environment that you clean it more frequently than you would the bigger one.